Traction device choices 02 Silverado HD

SPLATT

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on whether to go with a limited slip or Detroit type locker in my daily driver Silverado. I don't wheel it and don't intend on it, I just want some traction when I'm out in the woods and reasonable street manners. I.m not looking for any type of air,electric or cable locker.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
My '05 has the factory G80, works real well. I have snow tires on it and haul a snowmobile up to 10,000ft each weekend. 2wd is fine most of the time with that setup, even during pretty major snow storms.

SPLATT

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My '05 has the factory G80, works real well. I have snow tires on it and haul a snowmobile up to 10,000ft each weekend. 2wd is fine most of the time with that setup, even during pretty major snow storms.
I had a G80 in my old Blazer and hated it.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Limited slip is my vote. I have a detroit in the Jimmy. Tires chirps in corners and wear faster.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The G80 works great in my truck, same axle as your 02. I took it apart and cleaned all the clutches and reassembled it.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If your using on snow/ice, I’d stay away from a true locker. My experience w the G80’s (except 1/2t) has been pretty good, never broke one, but then they aren't turning big tires and wheelin either...maybe just a burnout or two.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My son has a D-max (11.5 AAM) which had the G80. After 230K it started to stay locked. We installed a True-trac, and he has been very pleased with it on dry pavement and snow too. He said that it pulled smoother and kicked in faster than the G80, it didn't need one wheel to speed up to start transfer of power. I have felt the same way about the one in my '70. Had it in all conditions too.

The one for the 11.5 was not cheap, though.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I tried to find the true trac for a 70HD and they discontinued them.

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
The G80's seem to work better in the bigger axles due to them and the axle components just being physically larger and beefier.

I'd probably still put a full locker in myself but the G80 in my 9.5" under my '19 works well.

USSkoval

Dunno?
Premium Member
Reaction score
The G80's seem to work better in the bigger axles due to them and the axle components just being physically larger and beefier.

I'd probably still put a full locker in myself but the G80 in my 9.5" under my '19 works well.
That's my experience as well. The GovLoc in any 10 bolt is worthy of the name GovBomb. But in a 9.5 or 10.5 14bolt, they work pretty well.

rob h

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had a Detroit locker with 513 gears in my 03 2500hd for probably about 10 years. I daily drove it until 2 years ago, When I bought a new 1500. Besides a little noise it's been fine, no complaints. You just will need to change your driving style a bit in wintery conditions tho, nothing bad just different

SPLATT

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm settling on a limited slip seeing that this truck is what I drive in the ice and snow. Now which one?

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm settling on a limited slip seeing that this truck is what I drive in the ice and snow. Now which one?
I will vote again for a Truetrac. My son agrees with me after driving his D-max with one for a year now. He bought one for his beater 4.8 2wd as well. I have had my big block shortbed K10 in wet sloppy snow and I was impressed. It doesn't require a different driving style in the snow like Detroit locker. I have a friend who swears by the locker, but I haven't had a chance to let him drive a truetrac much.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Eaton Posi
Simple and works
Had one in the S10 and C10. Went 130k before needing a rebuild, but sold the truck. New owner will never do it, so it’s an open again :D

Top Bottom