Trailer basics/trailer loading basics:

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by vandelay industries, Nov 21, 2020.

1. vandelay industries

vandelay industries 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, time to get serious. i'm getting ready to buy a trailer.

1) Are the decks of enclosed trailers generally lower than open trailers?
    a) It may be my imagination, possibly coupled with the fact that enclosed trailers usually use their entire rear door as the ramp----thus allowing for a much shallower loading angle vs. the usual two, single, short, metal ramps that open trailers generally use?

b) It's not out of the question for me to go with an enclosed trailer. Although i would have to get a larger truck, which in itself, while not out of the question either, is not preferred due to wanting to not go to wild on the budget.

But the reason why i'm asking about deck heights is, let's look at the following diagram:

[​IMG]

2) Now, let me lay some background:
    a) i'm mostly into dragging and not needing to tow trucks or 4x4's not that there is anything wrong with that: (i have a 4x4 truck, which i'm planning on using for towing the trailer......)

b) Now, in conjunction with "a" directly above, i am a "hardcore" project person, meaning that a lot of times a car cannot be driven up trailer ramps due to not having an engine, or the engine doesn't run, or it's late at night and we don't want to piss off the neighbors because i, unlike some of you, have consideration towards my neighbors :), or for some other reason, the car can't be driven up the ramps.

c) Also, as you may know, a lot of drag cars are very low in the front, or low overall.. And many have fiberglass or plastic spoilers in the front.

3) So, the main question is: How do you get a low profile car from point "A" in the diagram to point "B" in the diagram?

a
    ) i have seen plastic spoilers get cracked when trying to use a winch cable in this A-to-B area.

b) Are there other solutions (like an enclosed trailer, for example?)?

Once we get the front wheels at or past "B", then it's no problem to use a winch and cable., But A-to-B i worry, is a problem.

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. eric67camino

eric67camino 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 let it all BURN ! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Used these trailers before and there nice . Have used the 7k version . Loaded bmw . Corvette. lowered tides. Pull real nice and dont hardly know its behind you .

https://www.kwikload.com/

4. TreeFarm

TreeFarm Internet fabricator. Premium Member

Build(s):
    You can get enclosed trailers with lower decks. I bought a 24' 10K enclosed last year. It has an extra 6" of internal height compared to the standard model. They did this by lowering the deck 6" and running dropped axles rather than straight axles. The extra 6" of height also made the door that 6" longer lowering the angle.

Capt Ron likes this.
  5. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I currently own 3 enclosed car trailers and 2 open tandem axle dovetail car trailers. 2 of the enclosed trailers currently have a 38 Chevy and a Z/28 Camaro that both sit very low in the front and neither scrape or drag while loading.
    One of the tandem axle open trailers does catch low profile spoilers while loading but a 2x6 under the front tires usually provides enough clearance. I have on occasion had to lift the front of the trailer with the jack or drive the tow vehicles back wheels onto blocks while winching an IROC Camaro with flat tires onto the open car trailer. I guess my point is with enclosed trailers you will probably be ok and most open trailers, even with a dovetail you will be throwing some wood. Long ramps help save spoilers.

6. vandelay industries

After thinking about it some, i think what will work is a conventional open car trailer with a lower deck----using the 4" drop axles. Then, maybe driving the rear wheels of the truck onto ramps. This could make the approach angle pretty shallow.

Can anyone recommend a company with lower deck heights? i mean i'm not trying to get everyone to do the work for me, but i work a lot.

7. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I built a guy a cantilever air bagged trailer decades ago. Entire deck dropped down to tilt with the front still on the ball. Worked well for his drag car and his forklift. He moved safes for a living.

8. vandelay industries

Tilters are actually in the budget, but i think i want to go with a more conventional-type trailer. Except lower----like with the 4" drop axles.

i found an outfit that sells them:
    http://www.sweetriverstrailers.com/wood_deck_low_profile_car_trailer_7000_gvw.html
    Note: i'm not necessarily fixed on wood deck, but it does seem lighter and cheaper. Metal is fine, i think i prefer split-deck if metal.

Do you know anyone else that sells them? The lower profile/lower deck open trailers. Prefer east coast.

NOTE: i am not trying to get everyone to do the work for me (ok i am...) It's just that i work quite a bit (how else am i going to afford all this junk....) So, if i could get a little help, that would be cool. i will make it worth everyone's effort, like with parts and stuff.