CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Truck drives slow!!!!!!

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
I just put a rebuilt 350 in my 89. It has a comp cam in it and I also put a 670 cfm Holley TBI on it. It runs good, no codes or anything like that, BUT, it is so sloooow. It was slow like this before the motor change and I thought it would improve. It has no pickup or power. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be my problem???

Thanks, Ken

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
put some 4:56 gears in and you will see a big increase /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4:56s in it, got that done after I lifted it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
Could it be some kinda sensor or something thats holding it back?? Lets put it this way , I can floor it and it picks up at the same rate as if I were just "touching the pedal"!!!

88Silverado

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you change the fuel filter??
Couldnt believe the difference in mine after the change. Could be a clogged fuel pump screen too. Sometimes it will set a Lean code.

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
No, I havent tried the fuel filter. I assumed that a bad filter would give me hesitation or stalling probs, I just have no pickup!! But, I did get a filter a while back, I guess Ill throw it on tommorrow!! It wont hurt!!

Thanks, Ken /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

unick

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Check how much oil is in it. Sounds dumb but I was with one of my buddies and it wouldnt go very fast. I told him to pull over and I checked the oil. He must have only lad like 1 or 2 quarts in it. We put some oil inn and it started working better.

Nick

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Could maybe be a plugged catalytic convertor too...that'll kill power!

Rene

SUBFAN

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hmmm, double post....

You must really want this problem fixed /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, double post....

You must really want this problem fixed /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do Its driving me nuts!!!!

88Silverado

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
No, I havent tried the fuel filter. I assumed that a bad filter would give me hesitation or stalling probs

[/ QUOTE ]

When my filter was plugged, it just got a little harder to start but no hesitation or stumble, just no power. Got so bad that if I floored it, the RPM's wouldnt get high enough for the governer to allow the trans to shift gears. That was about the point the computer started to flag a Lean condition, but only at WOT. Was a HUGH dofference when I changed it. TBI's need pressure to work properly. Again, could be a plugged filter on the fuel pump in the tank too. There are adaptor kits so you can put an in-line pressure guage and take readings. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

R72K5

Banned
Reaction score
cat converter being plugged is a good palce to start, have seen it happen several times and cause weak engine power

Frogg89

Registered Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I just put in a new fresh engine with a towing cam and found that the timing had to be advanced quite a bit. Runs great and the best part is more power AND better MPG! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did try the fuel filter today and it wasnt it!!
Where did you set your timing?? I just want to see if I got mine right!!

Thanks,Ken

husurddy

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
To be honest, I can't remember. I was advancing it a lil' bit at at time, trying to stay away from spark nock and.....my inductor wire for the timing light burned up on my header. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't hold me to this but 12 degrees rings a bell. I have been really happy with the results and my exhaust doesn't smell rich anymore. I'll have to pick up another light this weekend and check.

bryguy00b

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
u sure its running right on all cylinders and has the right amount of compression? just an idea i dunno .. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

84blazerwhoopee

Registered Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
u sure its running right on all cylinders and has the right amount of compression? just an idea i dunno .. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Along these thoughts, I saw a mechanic mark with some type of chalk real close to each exhaust port on the manifold and then ran the engine for a few minutes. he then went back to look at the marks to see which was not discolored. I never found out what special type of chalk he used, if any, but it sure seemed like a smart idea at the time.
/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Randy

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
That would be a temp stick...at a certain temperature it goes from chalky to melted looking. I guess you could tell if any cylinders were running lean that way. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

We use many different temp sticks to guage the amount of pre-heat before welding.

Rene

Top Bottom