Ugh......Steering column teardown...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Build(s):
    I just finished replacing the electrical components in my steering column. I bought the column a couple years ago on ebay, a not-so common column (i think), manual trans (floor shift), tilt with integrated wiper switch ('84-up). It was rebuilt (except for electrics). New bearings, tight tilt mech, new ignition cylinder. During installation and testing, the ignition switch was working only intermittanly, and I think the wiper stalk got damaged during shipping (he left it in), as a piece of the wiper switch plastic part was busted off just inside the housing and it was a bit floppy. So I had to take it all apart to replace the wiper switch, turn signal switch, the ignition switch and the dimmer switch. Not horrible once you get into it, I had to make a couple of my own special tools to do it, most notbaly the lock plate compressor.

Anyhow the factory service manual isn't quite complete in this area, so in my searchs I came across this illustrated procedure. Pretty decent if you ask me, so I'd thought I'd share. It's for Fiero's, but the column assembly/internals are exactly the same.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html