CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Wanted: pointers on steering box weld in kit

spearchucker

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I've got an 89 Jimmy and getting ready to install a weld in frame repair kit and install the brace from ORD. There aren't any frame cracks that I can see. I've got a welder coming over to weld the kit in. I'm just wondering what needs to be removed and prepped before he comes over. Also any problems, hints or tips that you care to share would also be alot of help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
go to the front page here & look @ the project vehicle. There's a link that shows it. Being new here I just happen to run across it last night /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Mastiff

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get the steering shaft mated to the gearbox as you install the gearbox. Once the gearbox is installed, the shaft can't be attached. Also, make sure the steering shaft is oriented properly to the gearbox. On my 83, it could be 180 degrees out and you'll never know until you find the steering wheel upside down. Everything has to come apart to correct this situation.

I just did this, minus the weld in part, this weekend. Let me know if you have a question I can help with.

Top Bottom