Water temp sender on 6.2 diesels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 15, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    So my M1009 CUCV has, of course, only the idiot lights, and only a "low coolant" warning, which is connected to a leaky sender in the radiator. On the list of stuff to fix when I replace the heater core.

I'd like to add an aftermarket water temperature gauge, under the dash or in the ashtray. Question is, does the 6.2L have a stock location in the block or heads somewhere that I can plumb one in, or do I have to add it into one of the radiator hoses somewhere? I'd rather put it in the block/head if possible, cleaner and less likely to wreak havoc later on.

I imagine the stock civvy trucks have one, so there's gotta be a hole somewhere ... right?

Next question is gonna be if anybody knows if the resistance range of the stockers is anything like the aftermarket, i.e. if I can mix and match a factory sender with an aftermarket cheapo gauge like this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3342D&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=6262

-- A

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the stock location on my '83 is one space frontward of the front-most drivers side glow plug. that being said, if i recall correctly, there are 2 threaded plugs that go into the water jacket on each head - one at the rear and one at the front. both on the same face as the gp's. if not a total of 4, i know for certain that there are at least 2 on mine - one where i stated my temp sensor is, and one diagonally opposite it on the back passenger side head. :)

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    TTT -- anybody know about the resistance of the senders?

-- A