Well my Alt went out only putting out about 4.5 volts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm installing a 104 amp Alt tomarrow once I get my harness adapter in.

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

What is the alternator out of? What harness are you using (part number?)? Thanks!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think you can use the alt out of a 91 Camaro Z28. You just need to change the pulley on the front if you don't have serpentine belts. I start checking into this soon. There are alot of different options you can use that will work with the right mods.

Harley

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you post how many grooves that pulley has?

I've got a 78 amp alt from an '87 Monte that had the semi-serpentine setup, so if the Camaro alt uses the same # of grooves, I could use that as a bolt in if I think I need a bigger alt.

As it is, I don't have any problems with the electric fan on, heater on high, and headlights on. Not sure what it will look like with both fans on and all accessories on, but I don't suspect it will be a problem.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It's a 104 amp alt out of a '87 Blazer remanufactured by Bosch. With a life time warranty. the harness adapter is AC Delco part # 8077.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well the 8077 harness didn't work so I need to add some pins to the plug there are only 2 in the plug that has 4 places.... SO i'm still working on it since I need to have it running right befor Monday when I start a new job.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

c moe. do you check your pm's?

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yah I read PM's but if you haven't looked I'm not orange so I can't reply or send PM's!

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    SO i'm still working on it since I need to have it running right befor Monday when I start a new job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you get it right , can make time sometime if you need help Sat after work . And congratulations on the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul! I'll let you konw if I get it running right.

11. pauly383

If its done early , are you up to a little bit of dirt at Saguaro ?

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well with Monday coming quick I have to get the B*tch running. So I went back to a SI style since Napa didn't have another CS in stock. Installed the SI and it is only showing 4.5 volts @ the Battery with it disconnected.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    With what disconnected?

I found the hard way with my alternator that you have to have the lead to the battery connected for the alternator to put out the right voltage. I was taking a volt reading off the battery post on the alternator without the wire connected and it was putting out very low voltage. Once I hooked up the charging line back up the voltage was correct.

The whole story is that I had thought the alternator wasn't working and it turned out that the battery isolator for my dual battery setup had failed.

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ok I'll Try to explain better. First of with the battery connected I'm only showing the battery voltage befor I start the engine and I'm reading 12.7 volts. So now I start the engine and it still reads 12.6 or 12.7 volts. no change.

15. pauly383

There is room for +/- a little . Last time I checked I only had about that much voltage at battery with it running . Basically as the battery drains the more output is needed from the alternator , hence your reading of 12.7 at battery . Drain the battery a bit , start it up and reading will be higher until battery charges up . Go here Alternator overview and read the paragraph about regulators /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif