NV What am I worth - 88 K10 100k miles

THEMCGUIRE

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The following is an ad I tried to put on local craigslist. It was rejected! I was asking 12,000 and was told by whomever that I was asking too much for CL. So, given how much work has been done to this truck PLEASE suggest what I should ask for this Blazer. I have invested well over 20,000 not including my personal labor.

1988 Chevrolet Blazer K5 4X4 - 99,796 miles VIN: 1GNEV18K9JF142937

This truck has had extensive restoration done. The engine is a Jasper and has about 50,000 miles on it. The body had extensive rust and was rebuilt in New Jersey in 2014 so there is no east coast rust. We moved to Las Vegas in Jan 2015.

All sheet metal is from LMC Truck. Except for the hood, cab roof, doors and pillars all were replaced. T
his includes Front fenders, inner and outer; Rear Quarter panels and rear inner fenders; Tailgate; Floors front and back. Interior painted with grey bed liner.

Body mounts replaced with polyurethane except front under radiator. (These are included with sale.)
Custom vinyl headliner and interior rear quarter panels.

Following have also been replaced:

Door strikers;
Grill and front molding;
Front turn signals;
All Window and door seals and Window guides (including tailgate).
Window motors, regulators and switches.
Fuel pump - high flow,
Column shifter replaced with ratchet floor shifter.
Dashboard cover installed.
Visors.
External custom spare tire holder
Transmission rebuilt by AAMCO including new shell and new torque converter.
Engine heads machined and new gaskets installed.
Universal Joint.
Power steering pump
Steering gear including new hoses.
Steering shaft replaced with one from Jeep which replaces flap connection with universal joint type connection.
AC system completely replaced; New compressor, aluminum parallel flow condenser, hoses, evaporator.

Aluminum radiator;
Transmission oil cooler added.
Drums, cylinders and brake hardware on rear;
Rotors and shoes on front wheels
Brake fluid replaced.;
Exhaust system replaced, headers to back includes replacement cat.
Windshield; doors and tailgate glass has been replaced, no scratches.
4 wheel driver lockers replaced with manual Warn lockers.

Body is primed and covered with grey plasiti-dip. it just peels off and you can paint as you desire.
The yoke has a crack in it. It lacks a spare tire. Despite all new window guides and gaskets and mechanical parts and motors the windows do not work properly because I cannot seem to get the alignment of the guides right.
The door are bad... I put new skins on them and then fell on them and dented them up again. I put a gallon of mud on the passenger door just to get it to look so so. So I suggest a door replacement to get it good.

20161227_152100.jpg 20161227_152117.jpg 20161227_152138.jpg 20161227_152151.jpg 20161227_152220.jpg 20161227_152240.jpg 20161227_152032.jpg 20161227_152048.jpg

20161227_152151.jpg 20161227_152220.jpg 20161227_152240.jpg 20161227_152032.jpg 20161227_152048.jpg

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you are looking for an affirmation of your price this might not be the place.

Kind of lame for it to get flagged on Craigslist though. I can price my stuff wherever I want too.

One point no one cares how much time and money has been spent. I have seen insanely nice blazers on one tons lifted with a nice suspension shiny paint and super nice interiors go for 10 to 12k.

But I'm not who your looking at. Relist it at whatever price you want. Put it on more than just Craigslist, but be prepared cause that price seems very high from the pics you posted.

I would recommend getting much clearer shots than what you have at minimum. And at least get matching rims all the way around.

You can set your own price but I personally think your price is too high

Mark Leisenfelder

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Annoying that your add got flagged on craigslist, some jerkofff with nothing to do.

In all honestly that would be an 8k truck if it had a nice paint job and no dents. That is around here. Even less in a place like NV where its excepted to have no rust.

regardless its your truck and you can post it at whatever you want.

rcpd34

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I feel your pain and don't take this the wrong way, but asking $12K for a truck with a cracked yoke, no paint, bad doors and mismatched wheels is a pipe dream. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get half. It's a free country and you can ask anything you like. Ultimately, the truck is worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. Good luck with your sale.

CK10

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
You're in a rough spot with that one I think. I'm not in your area, but we have tons of clean square bodies with lower mileage engines in them to keep them smog legal and they don't bring much money, maybe $2500 or so.

I can't imagine it will be easy to get your asking price on a truck that isn't really road ready, if you got some of the small problems knocked out you'll really help keep the buyers from getting scared. Fix the yoke, replace the doors, put any 4 matching wheels on it and it starts to look like a driver to a buyer instead of a project truck.

THEMCGUIRE

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thank you for your honest comments. I guess given all the effort and new parts I installed in this truck I was expecting more. I went into this because my son wanted the truck and now he does not want it any longer. The cost of all those window guides, and weather striping was outrageous and if someone has done the extent of this restoration they would likely be more aware of it's value. For me to spend another 4 grand on a quality paint job and to fix the few little things that need fixing it just beyond me at this point.

I posted a lot about this truck under the title "WTF do I do now" THE SAGA CONTINUES and have fixed everything that has gone wrong. I want to mull over your answers for a while but right now I think I will hold on to it for a while. As of now if I sell I will likely come back with an asking price of $7,500. But it will not be right away. I have to think long and hard before I give up all this time, effort and money just to replace this with another vehicle.

Maybe if I decide to keep it I will invest another 4 grand and convert it into an electric truck. I just saw an episode of wheeler dealers where they converted a 1985 Ferrari bi turbo into an electric car for about 4000 in electric parts and batteries. Don't laugh too hard it simplifies everything and with a range of about 100 miles a charge it might be worth it.

Thanks again all....

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
4 grand more isn't going to be able to convert it to "Electric". You'd be smarter to swap in a 5.3 as far as resale goes, then it would have something going for it, although it still wouldn't be a $12K truck.

Don't feel bad, this site is full of trucks with $20K or more into them that could most likely sell for $5K. Your truck has some unfortunate visual cues that run counter to your intended demographic. At $12K for a K5 it looks flawless and close to stock, and the details really matter. There are places to get a good return on investment on a K5, like great suspension, tires, rims, engine. Paint is a crapshoot, bad paint can be overcome by the rest of the trucks build and intended purpose. That being said I don't think I've ever seen a K5 grab 5 figures without perfect paint.

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Reaction score
My wife has asked me why I don't sell the 72. Told her I'm not interested in settling for 25 cents on the dollar....

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Yeah, this is why there isn't a book called "Building K5's for fun and profit".

Top Bottom