What's behind rocker Number 1?

LVJimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
upload_2020-10-13_13-44-59.png
Will the inner rocker be rusted to hell or will I need to just replace the outer rocker?

Drivers rocker.jpg

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take a look underneath the truck and poke the inner with a screwdriver. If you do need it, it comes as part of the floor pan

LVJimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I stabbed the underside of the rocker box and it is solid. I cut the outer rocker off and the inner isn't perfect but it is pretty solid too. upload_2020-10-14_8-38-1.png

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks decent, you could cut some v shaped holes in the inner for drainage and coat them with ospho to neutralize the rust

LVJimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think I could just patch the outer rocker instead of removing the whole thing. The original seems stronger than the aftermarket piece even after 50 years

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could, though, make sure there isn't any other corrosion inside

IMO replace the whole thing

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You can replace the bad section in my opinion, but you will want to coat the inside after doing the welding. And of course stop the rust that is in there before you close it up.
I thought that there were drain holes in the inner rocker from the factory, but I haven't looked at the underside in a few weeks. If so, that is how you will have to spray a sealer in there after the work is done.
My experience with aftermarket replacement panels is that they fit poorly, but this is from working on '67 to '72 trucks.

LVJimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My plan is to sand what I can get to.
Followed by sandblasting what I can get to.
Spray Ryoken Green, aka zinc chromate, to the bare metal
Spray a rust converter over any thing that isn’t green.
Spray paint over everything

Cut the patch panel to fit the opening in the rocker that I cut.
Sand and paint the patch panel as above

Prep all edges for welding and weld in the patch panel
Sound reasonable?
Any suggestions?

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would still find a way to spray something in AFTER welding it up, if there is a way. Something with a nozzle to try and seal it up inside. Check out compatibility before buying any products.
Being in Vegas will help tremendously to slow the rust for sure, but I feel that some treatment after welding will be beneficial. But your prep plan sounds solid to me.

Bigb55

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it works to prevent rust. But eastwood's internal frame coating works great at getting into those type of body panel cavities.

I covered every interior panel I could access through small holes on my '74 with it. Coverage is excellent, just keep the nozzle moving and it will cover everything.

Does to work? It's a zinc based product so it should help.

LVJimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I’ll have to order some to cover all the parts that I can’t get to

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ll se what I can find. Thanks
Eastwood make an internal frame sealant that comes with a spray tube. Make a dime size hole, insert tube and spray as you slowly pull it out. I'd do it twice.

I've used this and it works great. You can spray brake cleaner into the tube and it cleans it out so you can use it again.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eastwood make an internal frame sealant that comes with a spray tube. Make a dime size hole, insert tube and spray as you slowly pull it out. I'd do it twice.

I've used this and it works great. You can spray brake cleaner into the tube and it cleans it out so you can use it again.

I have read about a long time ago, but never used it.
Thanks for the insights

Top Bottom