Which Truck Shop Manual is the right one for my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Nov 1, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Ok, so help me out here... Is my '88 K5 Blazer mainly a V-truck or a K-truck? Helm sells both the[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]

1988 R/V/G/P Truck Shop Manual Kit
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]G-Series Van [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]Light-Duty Trucks (Up To 1986)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif] 1988[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]
    P Chassis/Pg Cutaway Chassis
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif] 1988
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]R/V Pickup/Suburban/Blazer [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](1) ST33088 - 1988 R/V/G/P Truck Shop Manual
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](2) ST33388 - 1988 Light Truck Unit Repair
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](3) ST35088 - 1988 Light Truck Electrical Diagram

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]and the

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Set
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]C/K Pickup/Suburban/Blazer [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](1) ST37588 - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](2) ST37588S - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](3) ST37588EDM - 1988 C/K Truck Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](4) ST37588FE - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](5) ST33388 - 1988 Light Truck Unit Repair
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](6) ST35088 - 1988 Light Truck Electrical Diagram

Both are $105, so I'd prefer not to order the "wrong" one. The Unit repair and Electrical Diagram are the same in both packages, but should I get the R/V Blazer or the C/K Blazer?? What's the damn difference?? AFAIK, they both stand for the same thing.

Both kits are 3000 pages according to Helm, so wouldn't that mean that the R/V/G/P kit which also covers the G Van etc has less pages dedicated to the Blazer than the C/K kit?

So what do you say guys? :dunno:

Before anyone mentions it, I've tried getting each from factoryautomanuals.com for just $60, but they were out of stock...
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Short answer: It's the first one, R-V.

Long answer:

The "C" (2WD) and "K" (4WD) designations only apply across the light duty truck line for 1973-87.

For 1988-91, there were two sets of trucks:

Most pickups (regular and extended cabs) got a new body style and kept the C and K designations in 1988.

Blazers (Jimmies), Suburbans, and crewcabs (Bonus cabs, various cab-n-chassis', etc) kept the old body style and were given the R (2WD) and V (4WD) tag to differentiate them.

Make more sense?

Helm is on crack with the second one, as there is no Burb/Blazer in C/K for '88.

-- A

3. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Both for the short and long answer. One R/V manual ordered.