CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Why NOT to use oil cooler return for turbo oil drain.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what's happening here. Going to need a bit more info. You got oil in your exhaust I take it?

bigblock454

Clack Clack Clack
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler return would be at pressure. So it was just pumping oil into the exhaust? Probably the intake side also.

MorganBrady

1985 K5 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic Diesel
Reaction score
Yup. Dumb Idea. I ran my newly installed 6.5L diesel engine for 30 seconds to a minute. Puked oil into the exhaust. My fault. I thought I would plumb the oil drain into the oil cooler return port on the block instead of into the pan. I wanted to use a mechanical fuel pump on my 6.5L and so had to relocate my turbo drain line location. I think I either plumbed into the pressure side of the cooler lines....or there is just too much pressure on the return side too, but either way it pushed 2 Liters of oil out in no time. Rebuilt turbo too.

MorganBrady

Reaction score
I will pull off turbo and take it apart tomorrow to see what it wrecked, and I will pull the pan off to install a proper oil drain like I did for my other 6.5 I just removed.(it will end up in my suburban so I don't want to rob it). Not sure how to get all the oil out of the exhaust, other than burning it off driving around town. :thinking:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
my 366 gas engine for the c-70 dump truck has air brakes . that air compressor has il feed for lube and drain line to the side of the oil pan .

any drain line should be direct to the pan and nothing else .

oil out of the exhaust = drive it thats it .

wasted wages

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well yeah... the oil cooler is positive pressure even on the return side.
I'm pretty sure the seals in the turbo are blown out, as after the oil passes the turbo bearings it is supposed to go back to a zero pressure port... I don't see why the drain couldn't be in the valve cover or something like that on the engine.. might be easier to do that than the oil pan ?

KirsL

Diesel maniac
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok few things I've noticed.

First, the 6.2 and 6.5 need to have an oil cooler to live a long and happy life. Pulls those plugs and run lines to as big an oil cooler you can fit. The port you used is the return from the cooler. But still sees pressure.

Second, ditch the mechanical fuel pump. Use that spot for the turbo oil drain. Run a good electric pump. You'll be much happy when changing fuel filters.

The oil in the exhaust just has to burn out from driving.

MorganBrady

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys...yeah I have a big oil cooler I am going to plumb in, I just wanted to try my idea for the turbo drain...didn't work. My dumb idea...other guys can avoid

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys...yeah I have a big oil cooler I am going to plumb in, I just wanted to try my idea for the turbo drain...didn't work. My dumb idea...other guys can avoid
It's funny us mechanical pump guys want to switch to electric

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't see why the drain couldn't be in the valve cover or something like that on the engine.. might be easier to do that than the oil pan ?

This is how the 6.2 ATS turbo kit is set up. But that turbine sits higher and can drain well. The 6.5 turbine sits low enough that it won't fit into the top of the cover.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Switching an electric lift pump was one of the best mods I've done. From changing fuel filters to priming the system after sitting for a while. It just plan works better.

I second the electric lift pump, even if you weren't needing that port for oil return. Easier to prime, much easier to change if need be, and it eliminates that off chance of a failed lift pump dumping fuel into the crankcase. And it's harder to get yourself stranded...

MorganBrady

Reaction score
20190801_140633.jpg 20190801_140647.jpg 20190801_140701.jpg 20190801_140727.jpg 20190801_140921.jpg So I pulled the GM-4 turbo apart. Other than alot of oil on the exhaust side and a little bit on the intake side, it looks good. No obvious scores or worn parts. It has been rebuilt. But I am going to throw a rebuild kit in it any way. I ordered a kit waiting for it to arrive...in the meantime I threw my other GM-1 turbo on from the engine I just pulled. IT RAN GREAT. I will use it till I get the GM-4 together.
I also got a frame mount electric pump.
Still need to install my oil cooler and power steering cooler. So just have the grill off for that

Top Bottom