CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Winch Location

DwarF

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
On the k5, it looks like there is enough room between the front frame rails to put the winch low, and inside the frame rails. Then the bumper can cost you very little approach. Has anyone seen a winch mounted inside the front clip like this? Under the core support, between the frame rails?

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Peterson's is doing a thing on an M1008 they got. This month's article shows a winch mounted that way under and behind the stock bumper...almost completely hidden.

Red Blazer on the cover.

Rene

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
How long goes it say for the retailer to display for? I went to get the May issue and they didn't have it yet. grrr...

odoa3

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I was told that you should put a cross member in the front of the frame and box the front of the frame as well on the Blazers. Any truth to this or is it overkill?

cybrfire

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
MY winch is really hidden. It's mounted in a box in some warehouse! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

TruckNutzDude

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
MY winch is really hidden. It's mounted in a box in some warehouse! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine Too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

heavy4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I was told that you should put a cross member in the front of the frame and box the front of the frame as well on the Blazers. Any truth to this or is it overkill?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a bad idea. GM straight-axle trucks are plagued with cracked frames at the steering box. These cracks are the result of frame flex, so anything you can do to limit the amount the frame flexes up near the steering box will help out. The most common fixes are a weld-in reinforcement plate and a bracket which triangulates the frame...both available from www.offroaddesign.com

m j

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
mine is under the bed between the frame rails
the remote plug is in the ps bed pillar inside the box facing forward
I wired the remote by pulling the taillight
the remote reaches through the sliding window for 1 man operation
keeps weight as far rearward as possible
thick plate bulkhead welded between framerails
I am moving the solenoid pak to a more accessable location though as the framerail is a PITA to get to when you have problems with it

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
DP_90K5 should be boxing mine up along with front/rear bumpers plus sliders and shipping them to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like a little kid waiting for Christmas to come.

m j

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
just rear
my truck feels way to front heavy to add anything up there
it is an old winch made by Beaver
dedicated deep cycle feeding it with good cabling
I may move the battery back beside the winch or I may convert it to hydraulic

HarryH3

1 ton status
Author
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
it is an old winch made by Beaver

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh oh! Here come the beaver oil jokes! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poohbair

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
well, mine is not under the core support, but is set way back to not loose anymore approach angle than absolutly necessary...

11462truck2.JPG

Poohbair

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Not at all, I am running a dual speed electric fan out of a Taurus w/ a 3.8
The only time I have any cooling problems is when I forget to turn it on!!

rvreddog

Registered Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine like that after banging it on the rocks a few times. Right now the winch is flush with the grill,but I`m gonna move it back so the roller is flush. A word of warning,when you do this clock the switch (lever) on your winch. It`s a tight clearance in there and a new housing end will cost around 75.00. The voice of experiance.

DPI

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Plenty of room down between the rails. Here's a pic of Stomper's new front. This one has an RE12000 mounted between the rails. I also fabbed one that mounts a Patriot 15000 between the rails.
pict8671_std.jpg

pict8673_std.jpg

Here's a couple looks at the mount for the RE12000.

885DSCF0197-med.JPG

885DSCF0200.JPG

Top Bottom