1966 Plymouth Fury build thread.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by tRustyK5, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I used a zip tie and blue Sharpie to layout my cuts on pipe. Worked pretty well

76zimmer, tRustyK5 and max 02 like this.
  2. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Blue sharpie is standard... zip tie is good thinking! :waytogo:

I’ll remember that one!

tRustyK5 and Bent77 like this.
  3. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Cool build! Something different.

tRustyK5 likes this.
  4. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am loving this build, great work so far!

tRustyK5 likes this.
  5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Try a piece of heavy construction paper wrapped around the pipe...the length of the paper gives a perfectly square line when wrapped tightly to the tube.

tRustyK5 likes this.
  6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Holy super long tail Torque-Flite !..:eek:
    I thought the TH400 I had behind a 500 Caddy had a long tail...

We often found at the junkyard,the dirtiest,greasiest neglected looking engines & transmissions turned out to be the best running take outs we used on cars we were restoring or for sale to customers....but if they got cleaned and painted first,they would develop a rod knock or seize up usually...drop them in filthy,and they ran beautiful...weird how that works..!

Looks like your gonna be busy (and broke) for awhile Rene..but your having fun ,that's all that counts..

One guy who used to hang around at the junkyard had a sweet '66 Plymouth Belvedere with a 440 from a Ramcharger we sold him--he built it to the hilt,and put a 727 Torque-Flite behind it..he would always do a posi burnout about 300 feet long like nothing leaving the gate..the weight scale was another favorite burnout spot,the cops couldn't do squat ,being on private property..:D

One day he went to New England Dragway ,towed the car behind his 70's Dodge van,which also had a 440...he used to take it there often to drag race on wednesday night "grudge races" when they would let you make a pass as long as the car passed tech...
    Unfortunately that night the driveshaft sheared off at the front yoke close to the finish line,and the car flipped and barrel rolled several times..the safety loop tore off the chassis he thought..was hard to tell after the fact..
    He came out completely unscathed,luckily,the full roll cage saved him,but there was practically nothing salvageable on the car,including the engine & transmission..:(
    The car had done many 12 second times at the drags previously..

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I'm not superstitious like that Bob. I know what you mean, but I'm more of a believer in careful dis-assembly, inspection, repairs (like timing chain in my case) clean, paint, and re-assemble. I know what is inside this 383, and what the condition of most every part is. I removed a main cap to see what the main bearings looked like, I did the same with a pair of rods. I put a wrench or socket on every bolt or nut internally. I'm not saying it can't fail, but I am certain it's in good useable order and should run just fine. I also slathered cam lube and assembly grease on everything as it went back together. I will also prime the engine with a drill motor before I attempt to fire it the first time.

Hard to find any "B" body anymore for reasonable money. I saw a quote somewhere calling the "C" body the last affordable Mopar left...

Sucks about your buddy's Belvedere. Cool car!

76zimmer and Bent77 like this.
  8. diesel4me

It was a nice car,street driven often too,despite being intended for drag racing,he drove it to the raceway many times--it was white,had Cragar's and 60 series tires,red interior...he gutted the back seat and installed a full roll cage (as required at the track ),and probably spent thousands of bucks and hours working on it..
    Last I heard he was planning to build another car like it,but once the yard closed up in 2005,we lost touch with him..

As for the engines we sold or used,we usually just got one running,listened to it after it got up to operating temperature,and if it sounded decent and didn't smoke,that was the one we'd use in one of the restorations or sell to a customer..and most of them were grungy looking ,like they never had any care ..others that looked nice often turned out to be the ones needing the most work,those got sold cheap as "rebuildable cores"...

We of course did clean and repaint the engines we used in the cars we restored (or simply did a engine swap to make them driveable again)..but more than once we had some fail after being prettied up..we called it the "fresh paint curse"..:D..

tRustyK5 likes this.
  9. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    We called those engines rattlecan rebuilds

Bowtie85 and Weird Beard like this.
  10. diesel4me

11. Bowtie85

Bowtie85 Some Beach, Somewhere Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Sub’d. Thought that was a cool car when I seen it a couple years ago in Dans shop. The only thing it’s missing is flames on the dash :whistle: