CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1970 GMC Jimmy - Grandfathers Unfinished Business

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you can get the engine cheap, fine, grab it and stick it somewhere, but I wouldn't bother trying to swap it back in. I know that some vehicles do get more valuable with numbers matching and all that, but I've never seen anyone ask about that when it comes to a blazer. The closest I've seen to that kind of thing effecting value is whether the VIN is a true 2wd, or whether it was converted.

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
Been away for awhile doing brakes / stereo / steering pump / taking car of young kids. Back with a headache.

I have known that I have rusted out rocker boxes. Just haven’t looked inside yet. Popped off the rear panel and it’s nasty.
I want to get it solid so I can take the top off and put in a family roll cage.

couple rocker box questions:

It looks like the rockers were replaced already (pic).

I read that the rocker boxes provide structural support. It’s not totally clear why, it seems the sheet metal wouldn’t provide much support. Pics below are from driver side, looking inside from the rear panel that I opened up. Can i cut off the rest of the box? Or will that cause shifting / issues? I can’t weld and repairs will need to be done at a shop. I don’t want to remove the box if it makes it undrivable / unsupported.

my thought is to cut off the box. Clean up whatever I can with wire brush. Buy replacement parts. Then drive it into a shop to do the weld / repairs.

Any input to this plan?

image.jpg

image.jpg

57C17FC1-53B6-44F0-AE5E-E56F28CACC68.jpeg

B8FA6712-A3EB-487A-9D0B-08763D5CCC66.jpeg

43DD58D4-96E3-4E21-8D06-5925A161E9C8.jpeg

8FC20802-BCF9-4B9F-9D78-EEF10BAAA562.jpeg

2191DB56-7A39-4108-864F-BAB997B6998A.jpeg

image.jpg

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much sheet metal can support if shaped the right way.
Now if you keep the top on and you first confirm that you can find the parts which I doubt or you find someone who can fabricate replacement, then you can ct out clean up and straight to the place you should be ok.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your other idea also would work, you first build a family cage then you cut out the rust and clean it up and be done

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm triangulating a transmission leak. I originally thought it was the pan gasket, but that didn't solve it. Looking closer it appears that it's the kickdown.

Bad news, the bolt hole threads are stripped. The bolt just spins in the hole and doesn't have any holding power. I am able to giggle/twist the bolt to remove it from the bolt hole. Any recommendations to solve this?

The bolt is 1/2" long with 1/4"x20 threads. I'd normally try to re-tap the hole, but access is a PITA.

kickdown.jpg

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Retapping is really all you got. Whether you go to a bigger size or helicoil it. Still have to tap there.

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
Retapping is really all you got. Whether you go to a bigger size or helicoil it. Still have to tap there.
:cry: I was hoping for a creative solution. I can BARELY get a hand in there to unscrew the bolt, nevermind tap new threads.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking drill with a 1/4" drive extension and set on the highest screw setting.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
:cry: I was hoping for a creative solution. I can BARELY get a hand in there to unscrew the bolt, nevermind tap new threads.
I will check something here before I suggest it but might have a way without drill or tap.
I will get back here possibly tomorrow

Top Bottom