CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1970 GMC Jimmy - Grandfathers Unfinished Business

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Did you look at the boot after they installed it the second time before driving it? Was it like this then?

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That boot wouldn't concern me as long as it isn't stressed, which I doubt because it isn't pulled over the outer diameter of the ball joint. That may be what split the first one. While it looks nice as the driver side is, the boot may have been pulled to hard. However, some are designed to sit like that.

They probably didn't have the correct boot to go over the main body of the ball joint in this case.

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
X2, the boot in the second pic isn’t pulled over the bottom like it should. Is the boot the correct size to be stretched over that lower part?

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
2. You guys aware of a good HEI install thread? Seems like it should be on here somewhere but I struggled to find a thread that walks through the process. I have some help to install it but hoping to leverage any learnings if someone already has a thread I can follow.
In actually in the process of editing a video detailing the process now. Hopefully I'll have it ready soon.

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
In actually in the process of editing a video detailing the process now. Hopefully I'll have it ready soon.
Awesome! I've got the parts. Now just waiting on finding a free day to do the install. Would love to follow along your video!

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
You're the man! Just in time for this weekend! Thanks a bunch.

Holy shit! HEI is the best upgrade yet!
Amazing difference. Easier than expected. A little more to do on wire management, but the Summit kit worked great. I went for Distributor, New Coil, Multi Spark Capacitive Discharge, new plug wires, and just re-gapped existing plugs.
Thanks again for the video @ashman!

Dan_P

Registered Member
Reaction score
Curious of your guys opinion here.

My grandfather bought this truck in 1970. He swapped the engine from a 1970 SBC350 to a 1987 SBC350. I assume something failed on the original engine, but I don't know the history/what or when it happened/etc.

By some unusual circumstances, I might be able to get the original 350 back (which would mean matching vin/block #'s). It will be a headache but a unique opportunity.

Super open ended question...but do you guys think it's worthwhile to try to get the original block? I'm not a purist. I don't have the intent to sell the truck. That said...I have a short window and it's now or never. Would need some serious machine work and not the cost effective answer. I don't even think anything is wrong with my current engine.

Just wanted your guys 2 cents if the matching vins is worth it on these older somewhat rare cars. I see some crazy prices on these rigs and don't want to miss a unique opportunity if the original engine is meaningful. The car is restored but not original. I toy with the idea of a frame off resto at some point. I have some transmission issues that I need to address, and maybe do the original engine at the same time (not the simplest answer by any means, but if I am doing the tranny maybe do the original engine too?)

Pic attached of the original engine. Been stored outside but covered for past 18 months. No idea what is wrong with it or why he switched engines.

IMG_5443.jpg

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

My grandfather bought this truck in 1970. He swapped the engine from a 1970 SBC350 to a 1987 SBC350. I assume something failed on the original engine, but I don't know the history/what or when it happened/etc.

By some unusual circumstances, I might be able to get the original 350 back (which would mean matching vin/block #'s). It will be a headache but a unique opportunity.

Super open ended question...but do you guys think it's worthwhile to try to get the original block? I'm not a purist. I don't have the intent to sell the truck. That said...I have a short window and it's now or never. Would need some serious machine work and not the cost effective answer. I don't even think anything is wrong with my current engine.

Just wanted your guys 2 cents if the matching vins is worth it on these older somewhat rare cars. I see some crazy prices on these rigs and don't want to miss a unique opportunity if the original engine is meaningful. The car is restored but not original. I toy with the idea of a frame off resto at some point. I have some transmission issues that I need to address, and maybe do the original engine at the same time (not the simplest answer by any means, but if I am doing the tranny maybe do the original engine too?)

Pic attached of the original engine. Been stored outside but covered for past 18 months. No idea what is wrong with it or why he switched engines.

View attachment 358230

I’d say it’d be a neat thing to have, but probably not super valuable except for sentimental purposes unless you plan to totally restore the truck.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many who want to sell a classic car or truck that has had an engine swap just include the original matching number engine along with it as part of the deal,if the buyer wants it to be a matching numbers vehicle..

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Id snag it too. Just to have, buy a cheap engine stand clean it up and paint it.
Garage art!

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My wife's grandfather passed away unexpectedly and nobody wanted his 1970 GMC Jimmy, so we ended up with it. He bought the 4x4 Jimmy in 1970 (original owner) and drove it for years (80K original miles). He was in process of restoring it but didn't get a chance to finish it before he passed. It was registered non-op but I was able to get the engine running in ~15 minutes...not super smooth.

My intent is to get it to reasonable driving condition, not intending to wheel it, not a daily driver. Reliable enough to enjoy it regularly. Because I got it cheap I'm fine putting decent money into it and I plan to do a fair amount of work myself if possible. I'm not a car guy, but have had some success with a much much newer cars (mostly my 4Runner), although internet research/parts have been pretty easy for newer cars. I have decent friend support if I have direction.

So...I'm hoping to get some general direction.

- It has the original drum brakes. This is probably the first item to get it drive-able. They are squishy and non functional. I've done some reading on disc conversions. Wondering if there is a strong opinion here? I've read a lot about rear disc conversion...but this isn't intuitive to me, I'd think the front disc conversion would be the more immediate path. Do you guys have guidance?
- The engine is a crazy story and I don't have the details, which you'll see is a major area of uncertainty. It shipped with the original V8 350. The engine must have died...because it now has a boat engine in it. Grandpa owned a boat company and I suspect when the V8 died, he had a comparable boat engine that he was able to swap out cheap. I don't know much more than that but will update the post when I do. I'm hoping to leave this in for now assuming everything works/runs. If a new engine is required I'm willing to do the swap (not sure to what).
- I know I'll need new tires...his have been sitting for years.
- The interior/exterior restoration looks pretty good (see the pics).

The big unknown generic questions: (I realize these are vague, but I don't know up from down right now)...
- Do you guys have advice of how to tackle this?
- What should I be looking for early on to figure out how to proceed?
- Are there known mods that should absolutely be on my list?
- What should I be looking for, and what do I need to learn about the car to do a proper assessment? (Tranny, engine, gearing, etc.)

I admit this post is super bit early...there is so much I don't know. But I'm hoping that some collective knowledge can help point me in the right direction so I can figure out the must do's and the sequence of events. I only have some exterior/interior pics now, but will post more when I get the chance.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Dan

PS - I am ready and willing to be shammed a little bit...so don't hesitate to give the honest truth and point me back to the forum for more reading if that's the deserved response :)

View attachment 311593

View attachment 311594

View attachment 311595

View attachment 311596

View attachment 311597

View attachment 311598

View attachment 311599

View attachment 311600

Oh, wow that thing is beautiful!

eric67camino

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 358230

Depending on the price of course, I would try and pick it up. There will never be another numbers matching motor.

If you decide to do a full, correct resto at some point you will have the engine. If not, the worst problem you would have is an extra motor sitting around. (Not a bad problem to have, I think.)

And since you have a runner in the truck now, there's not a big rush on the rebuild. You can take your time, shop around for the best price on parts, etc., and spread the cost out some.

I have a 400 sbc crate motor in my 67 Elcamino, but I still have the original 283 stored away. If I need it some day, I'll have it.

Burt4x4

1 Ton First Gen
Premium Member
Reaction score
I vote no, use your money and time to keep going with what you have... unless you have plenty of money and time then I do like the garage art idea lol

jaros44sr

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pull the vc`s, loosen the rocker arms, and close the valves. Then pull the plugs and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, rotate the engine a couple of times, but don't just put a wrench on the balancer bolt, it may snap, get the right tool to do this.

I`ll show you the tool required if you don't know

Pull the plugs and rotate every couple months, should keep it until you decide what to do with it

Don't let it sit out in the rain

Last edited:

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I vote yes. But I am a purist with some things, not so much with others.

I have my dads 1968 Stevens Flat bottom drag boat which I am rebuilding. Has the original engine and heads. Do I have a 454, LQ9 or 5.3 that I could put in it and make it cooler? Yes. Will I? No. Dad swapped out the peanut V-drive for a later Cassale for durability. Because that is how I got it, I am leaving it. If I could get that original peanut drive back, it would be cleaned up and used as a coffee table stand or something.

Just my 4 cents. (inflation)

Top Bottom