CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

1971 1/2 ton - Power Brake upgrade probs

2Dogs

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
Trying to help my neighbor with what appears to be a problem.

The truck came with front disks (all stock 2WD, original owner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). He recently added a power brake booster - a stock item/kit according to him purchased new/rebuilt from a local
parts store.

Problems/observation:
He said he believes that the brakes had more power BEFORE the power upgrade. This morning I drove it and I also think that it does not feel like power brakes. Feels very smooth and firm but not quick and powerful like I would expect.

Any advice or suggestions? Can anyone give me a part number break down on what SHOULD be there?

Details:
New/rebuilt prop valve and booster
17lbs vacuum thru the check valve
regular dot3 brake fluid (not synthetic)

Thanks!

clubba68

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
There is a post on here about using a 3/4 ton booster. It is supposed to help a lot according to those who have done it. I am going to be doing that swap on mine (which is non-power right now) this week sometime hopefully. I will look and see if I can find the post. If not, I'm sure someone else knows which one I am talking about.

R72K5

Banned
Reaction score
does booster hold vacuum after engine is turned off ? you should get 2 or three pumps of pedal weith vacuum assist after engine is off

also you should be getting 18-22 on vacuum, adjust timing a little to get 18-22

2Dogs

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it holds vacuum. Most noticeable when disconnecting hoses, less noticeable in affecting pedal actuation.

Sorry for lack of verbosity - I am drunk'ed /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Ryan B.

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well it sounds like theres your problem, he's running the 1/2 ton power booster. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/firstgen/Number/872712/page/13/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Power Brake Booster # 54-71007

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jasonkh2tg

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
hmmmm you said he added a power brake booster and prop valve, Did he swap out the MC also they are diffrent units....If the MC was swaped out are you sure you bled the brake correctly...

2Dogs

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I'll pass the info over the fence /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Top Bottom