CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1972 Buick Skylark

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I love this project. I saw a buick skylark gs at a car show a year or so ago and fell in love. I'd love to have a 70-72 skylark gs with the 455. It's probably going to be one of the next cars I buy if I find a good deal on one.... I love the body style and I've always been a fan of the 455 anyway... Add a t56 instead of the turbo 400 and it would be perfect for me.
Unfortunately they are popular enough that good deals are hard to find. I've been searching Craigslist and Facebook for Buick parts so I come across 2-door Skylarks and they are usually around $8k or higher. Last one I saw was $13K and the body wasn't much better than this one we bought. Actually it had one spot with rust worse than anything on this car.

Technically I haven't seen any other 4 doors for sale since we bought this one.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
We're still taking the car for occasional short drives. It seems to be running just fine. The transmission shifts a little soft for my taste, but I think it's shifting like it's supposed to for a comfortable, 4-door, passenger car.

We weren't sure if it had a limited slip, so we checked the easy/fun way.

2021-06-26 16.48.42.jpg

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the torquey reputation of the Buick engines. The only performance mod you could claim on this engine is having the exhaust cut off 3 feet from the merge and it will get up and go really well.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Keeping your eyes open for a 455?

Martin
Yes, for the crew cab. Haha

I get on craigslist and facebook and search for all applicable Buick stuff including engines. Haven't seen much local that's promising. Still would like to see how well this engine seems to run. I'd also kinda like for my son to really want to do the engine upgrade so he's motivated to earn money to do it.

Top Bottom