CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1984 K30 "C4" Truggy on Rockwells

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Kay86K5 submitted a new Build:

1984 K30 "C4"

A year ago, I was driving by a used car dealership in my town and saw a mid-80's crew cab K30 sitting in the back of the lot. I drove by it everyday for a couple months to and from work and finally one day decided to stop by and look at it. Turns out it was actually owned by one of the service tech's at this small dealership and wasn't officially for sale through the dealership. But after talking with the owner of it for a while, he said he was going to list it for sale soon anyways as he didn't have any time or energy to get it fixed up. It did run, but poorly and the body was pretty rough with a few dents in the doors and fenders, and the bed was pretty hashed and almost falling off. I offered him $1500 for it, and he said sure. I even drove it home the 5 miles back to my house. My wife gave me a very stern look when I drove up to my place with that truck, hahahaha.

So my original plan was really for this just to be a parts truck as I have my V3500 tow rig that I could have used lots of parts off this to keep around, and my brother has a few square body truck projects he wanted some parts off it for, and I was thinking I could sell quite a few parts off and probably make my money back on it. So for the first about 4 months all I did was start stripping the thing down and selling off a handful of items.....buuuutttttt, then I just couldn't help myself. I looked at this truck and thought it would be shame to let a crew cab square body truck just go by the wayside and eventually end at the crusher, and I thought this thing was a perfect candidate to make into some sort of off-road vehicle as it already had some dents and stuff in it, so I wouldn't feel as bad about cutting it up some. However I knew I could make it into something freaking cool and give it a second life, as it were.

So I had an idea in mind for it, some things have shifted in the build over the last year, and I'm not done yet, but I figured I'd post up where I'm at so far with as many pics as I have on my phone. Not all of this is all inclusive since my phone went nuts a few months ago and I lost all my pics on my phone, but this will give you an idea as to where I'm at.

Read more about this build here...

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So, with all that said, the specs of this when I bought it was an 84 K30, 6.2 diesel that ran but poorly, TH400 that still shifted alright, NP205, d60 and 14bff with 3.73 gears and some cobbled together 4" lift with blocks in the rear (1 block was cracked)

1.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Then this is when it got out of control a little bit, haha (my poor wife, I don't know why she puts up with me...luckily this build hasn't had much money come out of pocket as a lot has been parts swapping with my brother and some cash I got when I sold some stuff off this when stripping it, so that helps. She also knows this is what I like to do and I like to stay busy, so she's a trooper for sure).

So I had an idea as a Cousin Willard style truck like ORD build and go more "Truggy" style with this with a tube bed, so I decided to ditch the factory bed as it was so mangled it wasn't even worth trying to save. I cut off the front hangers for the rear springs, and moved them forward on the frame 28" and bolted them back up, then I got a shackle flip from DIY4x with 6" cross-tied shackles and bolted them up. I just cutoff the excess frame from behind the new shackle flip location.

1.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As you can see from the pic above, I just cutoff the rockers (as those were hashed too) and welded up some 2x6 square tubing straight to the body, and then built kickers from the sliders to the frame (sorry, no real good pics of that)

I also decided to try something I hadn't before which was pinch the front. Again, I don't have many good pics of this, but I took off 8" of each side of the core support (I cutoff the very end of each side of the core support, and then after cutting 8" out, welded that end point back to the now narrowed core support) and then just bent the fenders in and bolted the fenders back up to the now narrowed core support. I was pretty happy with how well it turned out

2.jpg

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Then this is when it got out of control a little bit, haha (my poor wife, I don't know why she puts up with me...luckily this build hasn't had much money come out of pocket as a lot has been parts swapping with my brother and some cash I got when I sold some stuff off this when stripping it, so that helps. She also knows this is what I like to do and I like to stay busy, so she's a trooper for sure).

So I had an idea as a Cousin Willard style truck like ORD build and go more "Truggy" style with this with a tube bed, so I decided to ditch the factory bed as it was so mangled it wasn't even worth trying to save. I cut off the front hangers for the rear springs, and moved them forward on the frame 28" and bolted them back up, then I got a shackle flip from DIY4x with 6" cross-tied shackles and bolted them up. I just cutoff the excess frame from behind the new shackle flip location.

View attachment 352620

SUBSCRIBED...

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I then whipped out my unknown skill of being able to spray paint every vehicle I own (and not having it look like utter crap) :haha:….and spray painted this thing. I let the wife pick out the color, I like the color she picked

1.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The last couple pics above show the front suspension a bit. Sorry, no good pics of that cause again, lost them on my phone. But I went with DIY4x B52 kit and his Upper Rear Shackle Hangers with 6" shackles. I also went with 4" lift 52's. I did that to be a little bit taller because of the eventual axles I ended up using to give more clearance, plus with the wheelbase being a bit longer (I'm at about 138" - 140" right now) I thought being a little taller wouldn't hurt on this thing. The axle is moved forward a few inches using the b52 kit too

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I also finished up modifying the hood to match the nose pinch. I still bolts up to the stock rear hook mounts, and then I just used "race car" style hood pins and removed the whole hood latch mechanism all together

6.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Then it came down to axle situation. My brother called and really wanted the 1-tons out of this for a square body burb he's got that's more of a hunting rig. I asked how much would you pay me for them (fulling willing to give a family discount) and he said he'd give me $800 for both, and I said sure. But then a few weeks later while looking on craigslist in CO (where my brother currently lives) and I found an entire set of 2.5 ton rockwells for sale. He had all 3 axles out of a deuce in a half (1 front and 2 rears) with all 10 tires and all driveshafts. I called the guy and asked if he'd take $700 for all of it, and he just wanted them gone and said sure :cool:. So I called my brother and told him to go buy those for $700, he can keep 1 rear and 4 tires for his own parts (as he has 3 rigs on rockwells) and I'll take the front, 1 rear, and the driveshafts...then we'll just swap rockwells for 1-tons. He was all over that (saved him $100 and he got an extra Rockwell for parts). So I got rockwells for essentially free :rotfl:.

We had a CO trip planned anyways to go see family, so I brought the 1-tons and swapped my brother for the rockwells. If any of you have followed any of my builds you will know I used to have 44" boggers on my K5, those have been at my brothers house since I put the pitbulls on. He told me to take the boggers so I could use them for mock up and get this thing going (they had rims setup for Rockwell pattern on them already).

So took my SAS'd burb to tow everything back. The good ol' TBI454 did pretty good on that 2100 mile round trip towing stuff :saweet:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Once I got home, I started working on the rear Rockwell. I de-brake'd it, pulled the whole center chuck out and welded the spiders, also double checked bearings and stuff. Everything in this looked really good, only a few seals that needed replaced.

I also picked up a pinion brake setup from DIY4x and also a leaf spring simple swap kit from RuffStuff.

Boy did this get me excided :pimp::cool::waytogo:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I then moved on to the front. I did the same and pulled the center chunk and welded the spiders. I was also very happy to find this thing has u-joint style shafts instead of ball & claw style (I watched a ball & claw style joint blow up on my brother one time). I also did a hub flip to get the WMS width to the same as 1-tons. Lots of info out there on how to do that. I also put new boots on there too. I'll eventually put some boot guards on this thing at some point

1.jpg

2.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
On the interior, I really wanted this one to be very bare bones as far as electrical goes, so build my own "dash" by welding in some round tube in the cab, and then using some 1/8" metal to build a simple dash. I then bought some simple gauges off amazon. I also bought a switch panel from 12voltguy.net. Was very reasonably priced and came already wired up. I really like how clean and simple the dash is

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh, I also hurculine'd the floor in this thing too

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't know of if you were ever going to start a build thread for this. :popcorn:

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Then it came down to what I wanted to do with the motor. I contemplated LS, built small block in a 383 variation, 8.1, but in the end I decided to go with a 454 as I wanted to do something a little different on this than I've done in the past. My plan is to eventually build the 454 with at least a top end kit (heads and cam) but for now I want to just get the thing running and then I can do that motor building later. I ended up finding a Gen 6 Vortec 454 on FB Marketplace near me for $600. Supposedly has 175k on it. After inspection things look good and seems to have compression, so I'm gonna run it. I didn't want to keep the factory injection because as I said, I want to build the motor later on and keep it as simple as possible as far as wiring goes. So I ditched the factory injection and slapped on a carb dual plane intake and HEI distributor. I also decided to go with Summit Racings Max EFI-500 kit. My brother has used this exact kit on two different motors (mild built 350 and very healthy 383) with very good results. And I don't want to go crazy on the hp/tq expectations on this cause again, I plan to wheel it and want good idle characteristics, so this should fit the bill perfectly. In the end after heads and cam I was hoping for about 440ish hp and just over 500 tq and this kit should handle that just fine. So later it should be nice that all I have to do is heads and cam (which I can do with the motor in the truck) and keep the intake/distributor/and injections that is on it now. I know I'm giving some up by not having computer controlled timing, but in the end this is simple, and pretty darn cheap when you compare it all to other options on the market.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.png

Top Bottom