CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1984 k5 blazer tailgate latch mechanism?

Nigel

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi i recently picked up an 84 k5 blazer and some things are disconnected on it in places. I am curious if anyone has a diagram or picture of the how the tailgate latch handle mechanism goes together? I attached a photo. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Nigel

20190216_122013.jpg

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
full

full

full

Nigel

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I can't figure out what this rod does by looking in the tailgate.... do you know?

20190216_152833.jpg

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I can't figure out what this rod does by looking in the tailgate.... do you know?

View attachment 294921

Keeps the tailgate unlatch mechanism from working until the window is down AFAIK. Don't know why it was necessary, not like you can access the rear handle easily if the window isn't completely down anyway.

Last edited:

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Keeps the tailgate unlatch mechanism from working until the window down AFAIK. Don't know why it was necessary, not like you can access the rear handle easily if the window isn't completely down anyway.
Exactly what that is for. And the only reason I can think of is if kids are riding in the back, they can’t accidentally play with the latch and open the gate.

Nigel

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I will go out in the mn cold and try this today or tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help.

fordsucks!

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly what that is for. And the only reason I can think of is if kids are riding in the back, they can’t accidentally play with the latch and open the gate.

It's so you don't shatter the rear window. The rear window is most secure when it's all the way down. Slam the tailgate shut with the window halfway up, good chance it may shatter.

RSAP

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what this specific part is called? Mine is missing and not available at LMC or ClassicParts.. Found one as part of a set for all inside components of tailgate, but the price is steep for lots of parts I don't need.

tailgate.jpg

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showpost.php?p=5621043&postcount=1

If you really want the name, download the parts and illustration manuals from that link that apply to your truck. Probably listed (with part number) in the parts illustration book. If all it gives you is the group number, you'll have to resort to the parts manual. Unlikely it's easily found as an NOS part for reasonable price, but you never know.

RSAP

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showpost.php?p=5621043&postcount=1

If you really want the name, download the parts and illustration manuals from that link that apply to your truck. Probably listed (with part number) in the parts illustration book. If all it gives you is the group number, you'll have to resort to the parts manual. Unlikely it's easily found as an NOS part for reasonable price, but you never know.
Thanks. I lucked out and found one on eBay that was reasonable :-)

RSAP

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to attaching the latch assembly and ran into two problems.

1) there’s a plastic guide that is broken, and this holds the rod in place that locks handle from opening while window is up. Any ideas on how to find a replacement? Pictured attached (labeled A)
2) missing a connection from inside the handle on tailgate, which connects from tailgate inside handle, to the latch assembly which opens the tailgate . (labeled B)

Neither parts are listed or showing replacement on the sites Ive checked. Any thoughts?

4274CDE1-B496-44F7-8245-0D3837A575BC.jpeg

57D2880C-B6C0-4060-9EC3-D9281CA7FADD.jpeg

RSAP

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to attaching the latch assembly and ran into two problems.

1) there’s a plastic guide that is broken, and this holds the rod in place that locks handle from opening while window is up. Any ideas on how to find a replacement? Pictured attached (labeled A)
2) missing a connection from the handle to open tailgate, which connects to the latch assembly. (labeled B)

Neither parts are listed or showing replacement on the sites Ive checked. Any thoughts?

View attachment 316183

View attachment 316184

3EE80A52-0AD9-4F4A-9A25-6E8743259D0A.jpeg

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
IIRC, there is one bolt on that latch mechanism that's left-hand thread. Just something to look out for. It might be the one bolt that's in-place on the one you have.

Top Bottom