CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1989 Camaro RS

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought a fresh start would be in order.

1989 Camaro RS
L03 TBI 305
TH700R4

I've had this car for 13 years and it's sat in a garage for most of that. With the kids getting old enough that I don't always need 5 seats, it's time to drag her out of hiding and get her going again.

20190614_165210.jpg

First order of business is a tuneup, oil change, new radiator hoses and a good once over to see what other work is needed. Definitely needs shocks and struts.

Probably try to get it tagged and drive it this summer.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Thought a fresh start would be in order.

1989 Camaro RS
L03 TBI 305
TH700R4

I've had this car for 13 years and it's sat in a garage for most of that. With the kids getting old enough that I don't always need 5 seats, it's time to drag her out of hiding and get her going again.

View attachment 343116

First order of business is a tuneup, oil change, new radiator hoses and a good once over to see what other work is needed. Definitely needs shocks and struts.

Probably try to get it tagged and drive it this summer.
Tires all dry rotted?

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tires all dry rotted?
No, not really. The tires have only been on it about 7 years. Before that it had knockoff Vette Rallies but one of the BFGs on them split a cord. These came off of a V6 car we picked up but sold soon after. I kinda wish I'd have kept that car for a beater DD... But I don't need 7 cars....

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
:haha:

Well, after selling the hotrod last week I'm down to 4 runners. Maybe a manageable number....
I actually was just looking at a 3 gen. Doesn't look the guy is going to sell after all. So I guess I'll just focus on one of the 13 I have. :haha:

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tune up parts, hoses and belt came in. I've gotta get the brakes done on the Gimmy and then I'll get started on this thing. Hope to get it going pretty quick and put some miles on it this year.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Paxton makes tune up parts

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paxton makes tune up parts
No no... This is just a cruiser.

HOWEVER.... once this thing is cleaned up I have a 92 25th anniversary hard top 5 speed RS sitting at Dad's that's not in amazing shape but it's fairly complete. I've been contemplating putting it together with some better heads and the PF4 system and just trying to scatter the 5.0. I have a spare and they're cheap as folks keep pulling them. Just keep throwing them in as they blow.... Some vortec 305 heads, headers, LT1 cam and just drive the piss out of it!!

But that's for down the road....

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I remember when I was younger, like in the 90's, we called those "cool guy" Camaro's. Now I think they are neat; probably nostalgia.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today was a busy day.

Upper radiator hose
Thermostat
Oil and filter
Fuel filter
Bled front brake
Lubricated caliper slides
New battery
Antifreeze

Restarted it and everything seems to be doing good. I've got to lube and bleed the rear brakes now. Also the pinion seal appears to be leaking. I'm torn on just replacing the seal or going to Dad's to see if I can find my 3.23 gear set for it.

USSkoval

Thornbirds look cool... Yeah, I said it
Premium Member
Reaction score
3.23 is about the best all-around ratio for any stock or relatively mild 3rd gen. Go for it.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have 3.23s in my 4th gen

was thinking 3.55 or 3.73 would be better
???huh??? The answer is always 4.10s guy
LO3 doesn't have the RPM to run 3.73 or 4.10 at highway speed. It'd be screaming for mercy.

I want a nice classic cruiser. Not looking to set the world on fire here. Besides, 170hp? I'd be lucky to get mild heat discoloration.... haha

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
LO3 doesn't have the RPM to run 3.73 or 4.10 at highway speed. It'd be screaming for mercy.

I want a nice classic cruiser. Not looking to set the world on fire here. Besides, 170hp? I'd be lucky to get mild heat discoloration.... haha
Does it only turn 2k? :whistle:

Use Heaths app and check your cruise speed before you do anything, but do think about it

Top Bottom