2000 GMC K2500 Sierra Crew Cab Stepside

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by TerryD, Apr 30, 2013.

1. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    I do too. They look great on there and are pretty quiet. It's nice to have a set of tires that are balanced again. I had to change tire guys. My old tire guy always gave me good prices but the last 3 sets I've gotten from him he couldn't get them balanced and he doesn't have an alignment rack so I tried a new shop that I've gotten some good reviews for and I'm very pleased.

These Nittos were about $2/ea cheaper than the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs in 285 which is pretty much nothing but I decided to give them a try. I'm going to play with air pressures a bit but they seem to be running pretty flat. The rears showing pretty much full tread contact at whatever pressure they are at.

The LT tires also does so much better at controlling the nearly 7klb of pickup sitting on them than the P series 265s I had been running (emergency $100 buy to get the truck inspected while the wife was in school last year).

I guess we'll see in a couple thousand miles if I still feel the same about them!

GWeakland620 likes this.
  2. TerryD

Build(s):
    As soon as I'm comfortable that the Xterra is good to go with the new diffs, I'm going to jump into a few things on the truck that need taken care of.

I need to take it back and let the guy find and fix the A/C leak. He cleaned, flushed and filled the system last time and found one leak but said it would leak out again but he put in the dye to find it. The oil cooler/filter adapter is leaking pretty bad as is the CPS on the timing cover so I need to get that fixed, it's leaving puddles. Plus it needs valve cover gaskets. It also needs a driver's side front power window motor and driver's side rear power lock motor and the passenger's side front interior door handle is almost broken like they do.

Just standard wear and tear I need to get caught up on from the last couple years of just nursing her along while the wife was in school. I'm looking forward to getting her squared away and back in shape. I really like my old truck and doubly so since I recently priced a 4 year old Power Wagon with 30k miles for nearly $40k.... NOPE. I'll stick to my $4k Gimmy and put a locker and winch on her!

GWeakland620 likes this.
  3. TerryD

Build(s):
    Ordered the stuff to rebuild the front brakes. Two wheel bearings, two Raybestos slotted rotors, set of their EHT pads, and Bilstein 4600 front shocks. Then I'll look into the leaks on the engine.

noJeepshere likes this.
  4. TerryD

Build(s):
    All my pieces are in for the brakes.

Yesterday after work I replaced the passenger front door handle and changed the rear diff fluid. I didn't realize the 14bsf had a drain plug in them. Really sped up the job.

5. TerryD

Build(s):
    Dropped the old girl off to have the brakes and shocks installed. After almost dropping her on this melting pavement I called the shop I've been using and they quoted me $180 to do both front rotors and wheel bearings, pads and shocks with my parts. Couldn't say no to that.

The A/C leaked down again. Looks like the seal in the middle of the compressor body is shot. Need to get that fixed next.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    $180 seems like a really good price. I assume that doesn't include parts?

7. TerryD

Build(s):
    Yeah, I supplied Raybestos slotted rotors, Raybestos EHT pads, Timken bearings and Bilstein 4600 shocks. Labor total was $155 :eek:

Wouldn't hardly be worth me pulling out the jack stands for that!

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Yeah, still a good price. I was thinking if it included parts it was a too good to be true price.

TerryD likes this.
  9. TerryD

Build(s):
    So either the shop or my offspring busted my 60/40 bench console lid. After hitting three yards today I found one. The cloth is in better shape than mine but it's a little more brown because the truck was sitting without doors. $14, eh, whatever. It's fixed now. Maybe it'll lighten up as the upholstery cleaner dries.

Couldn't find a nice headlight switch knob or a temperate sensor and temperate mirror. Gonna have to bring some more tools next time and dig a little deeper though the 'Burbs.

Smokinthehippies and mrk5 like this.
  10. TerryD

Build(s):
    Just ordered a Kenwood stereo for this pig. Be nice to have the Bluetooth and a working CD player finally. Don't know why I've put this off...

mrk5 and Smokinthehippies like this.