CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

83 K10 aka "Brown Truck"

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
79Stomper submitted a new Build:

83 K10 aka "Brown Truck"

I bought this 83 K10 a few (9 or 10) years back and it has sat a good bit since that time with me being overseas for Uncle Sam. I retired from the military a few years back and been working on this one secretly the past year or so, so I figured I would show off some work.

Some pics are old as they were taken when I bought it and on the short vacations we took back to the states. I will update over the next few days as I find pictures on old external hard drives and post them up. I will try my best to keep them in sequential order.

This is the day I picked it up from one of my Motor Transport Marines at Camp Lejeune. Picked it up for a few hundred bucks as it needed a new head gasket. Tim (gotlabs) helped me load it on the trailer and I hauled it away.
View attachment 204224 View attachment 204225

View attachment 230708

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I managed to download most of my pictures so lets see what was done so far in the past 9 years or so. I got the truck on a sweet deal as it needed a new head gasket and had most of the AC ripped out. I yanked the engine and did a rebuild, changed the cam and resealed it up and threw it back in.
100_0612.jpg
I 100_1052.jpg
Fabricated a plate with the help of ClarkJw24 to cover the hole for the AC. I actually installed a Summit heater box in place of all of the factory heat/AC components for a cleaner under dash area. 100_1154.jpg
Up to this point the truck was back on the road after a little altitude adjustment was done. Scored a 6" all spring lift and a set of 35's for it to change the appearance to keep it from looking like Grandpas truck. 100_0705.jpg

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
A few months later I got orders to Japan for 3 years. So started prepping everything for storage and packing the house but first a little trail time before I head off for a few years. On this trip I blew a hub and cracked the frame at the steering gear, messed up the transmission which I wouldn't find out about til a few months later and got some Carolina pin striping from a tree....... 100_1324.jpg
100_1332.jpg

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wow 11/24/06 doesn't seem like it was nearly 10 years ago... I'm gettin old... Thanks for the reality check! Truck looks good! Almost bought one just like it but it was tan on the bottom. I like the color.

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Then I went off to Japan for 3 years. On a trip back to Virginia, I managed to find a weekend to make it where my truck was stored and swapped the TH350/208 out for a SM465/205 from a donor 1 ton pickup. And then I was back off to Japan for what I though would be 2 years but turned into another 5 years.
DSC00176.jpg DSC00161.jpg

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
While I was in Japan I let another member here borrow it for a few years since it wasn't doing any good with it sitting and he fixed the frame and a few other smaller things. So Now I have been back from Japan and retired from the military and on my weeks home, I find things to do. One thing I did purchase while I was in Japan was a 60 and 14 bolt already built. 4.56 gears, locked front and rear, disc brakes and crossover and hydro assist. The past few months I have been itching to wheel again so have been putting all of the parts I have been acquiring on the truck and getting it ready for the trails. IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

Now this is where I sit today with the truck. After much debate, I am going to part out another rig I was working on prior to me going to Japan and have only 1 rig. So, when I get the chance to start parting the other blazer (Barnacle) alot of components will make it here. 56" front springs, 64" rear with shackle flip. Hydro boost brakes and maybe the HD Th400/ clocked 208. Still debating on a transmission swap.

The_Tomato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'll be in Harrisonburg for school next year*, if you ever want to wheel together let me know! It would be cool to meet up with another CK5 guy :D

As in this August, to clarify

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Man that would be tough being away from home that much! Glad you are moving forward with this even after that many years!

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey, I'll be in Harrisonburg for school next year*, if you ever want to wheel together let me know! It would be cool to meet up with another CK5 guy :D

As in this August, to clarify

Yeah man! I should have it trail worthy by then Just a few things to button down and tune in and we can do it. Unfortunately with all these mountains around there isn't a legal place to wheel close by but a friend has some property we can use. Not sure of terrain just yet but should be pretty fun.

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Man that would be tough being away from home that much! Glad you are moving forward with this even after that many years!

It wasn't that bad. My family went to Japan with me so when I was there it wasn't bad at all. I got into diving over there and got my Scuba Instructor certification so that kept me really busy in between deployments and my last few years prior to retirement when I didn't deploy. Even though I was in Japan, I still deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other places in the Pacific region.

The_Tomato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah man! I should have it trail worthy by then Just a few things to button down and tune in and we can do it. Unfortunately with all these mountains around there isn't a legal place to wheel close by but a friend has some property we can use. Not sure of terrain just yet but should be pretty fun.
Yeah, Virginia is pretty short on locations if you don't have private property. I know there's some OHV trails in George Washington National Forest, but I haven't been there myself. My truck is pretty much stock right now, but I'm hoping to make some upgrades this summer after making some $$$.

79Stomper

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
WOAH!! Stomper you're pretty cool....

Spence, glad to see your back on here. Don't be a stranger. You got my cell number right?

Keep the four speed.

Martin
Yeah the 465 is going to stay for a while. Just need to find a set of the elusive hydro pedals that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Also, I should be picking up something to replace the carb this weekend........Pics to come and hopefully more progress pics.

CaveBlazin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm welding the floor up this week so I may need your number for moral support. Shoot me an IM

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Top Bottom