89 K5 expedition style build. ( slow build )

1. biglos

biglos Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    biglos submitted a new Build:

89 K5 expedition style build. ( slow build )

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  2. AntiBling

AntiBling Registered Member

:waytogo: good looking rig. i am gearing my truck to be an expo rig as well. i look forward to seeing how you set up your rig.

3. biglos

Build(s):
    back window

so i bought this K5 about 2-3 months ago. i drove it to work for a month but had to park it when i started randomly shutting off while driving. well i finally found some time to work on it (and start the thread) this weekend.

turns out the problem was the Ignition control module. replaced that and it stays running just fine. the problem now is the truck runs like total crap. it idles and starts up fine but once on the road it feels like its missing horribly. maybe i messed up the timing while i was messing around under the distributor, idk. ill have to wait until later this week to get under the hood again. i did notice that there are 2 wires disconnected under there. i think on is the EST wire, and the other one comes off of one of the pigtails for the ignition coil. idk what that one is for. i didnt diconnect them so ill have to see whats up with that. any of yall know what those wires are?

this one is coming off of the grey pigtail on the coil. single wire with a blade type connection
    [​IMG]

this one is coming from the harness running on the left side of the distributor. i thinks this is the est wire. am i right?
    [​IMG]

4. biglos

Build(s):
    while i was out there today i decided to tackle the back window issue. i really want to take the top off so i had go get it fixed. when i tore into it i found that the cable was locked up. instead of messing with it i just removed it and replaced it with one from my parts truck. works like a champ now. only thing wrong in the tailgate is the track that the glass rides in is completely rusted out. ill have to tear the tailgate apart later and replace it, the window is barely being held in by it. i find it strange that the track is rusted out but the rest of the tailgate is fine, no rust whats so ever on the inside.

torn apart
    [​IMG]

the rusted track. i think LMC has these ill have to see if i can order a new one
    [​IMG]

the donor truck i pulled the cable from. its an 83, old project ive had that didnt take off (long story)
    [​IMG]

while i was down there i yanked and spliced that safety switch that seems to always go out. not a very good job but ill do it right when i take the tailgate apart to fix the rusted track

[​IMG]

5. biglos

Build(s):
    thanks antibling, im pretty happy with it so far, very clean. are going with an expo style k5 too? if your into the whole expedition thing you should check out expedition portal forum if you haven't already. great resource, ill be starting a thread on there soon too.

6. AntiBling

AntiBling Registered Member

no K5 blazer for me this time around. i have owned one in the past and i love them for sure. i am building a C20 truck this time. i am a member of that expo site. amazing tech stuff over there for sure.

7. 82355

82355 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    That's way too nice to hack the dash out of.

Martin

8. biglos

Build(s):

I agree on that, but something about the DIY dash really appeals to me. maybe the simplicity of it. idk, the dash is on the list just not very high on it. once I have to start digging into the gauges and under the dash ill think about whether I really want to replace or not.

9. brut4s

brut4s 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Updates?