'89 R3500 Crew Cab 2wd to 4wd conversion & beyond

doubletrouble

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What kind of verbiage did he choose? Did sailor mouth Scott show up, or did he say “dadgummit”
Sailor mouth Scott made an appearance, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before. I was so proud ! He was a good sport about , just one of those those things you can’t help. I think it helped that he knows Nate and I would make sure we got it off the trail.

doubletrouble

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That is a lot of truck to drag out without power steering and power brakes.
Ya no kidding. I was worried about it before we started but it went pretty good. We had a lot of trail to cover and once we hit the dirt road it was still a long run to the trailers. We hooked mine to Nate’s blazer and the blazer to Scott. Whenever I saw a hill coming up I radio’d back to hammer down, I don’t think Scott’s radio was working cause I never heard his truck.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wow. Sucks to hear you broke Scott. Getting back to the failure, I'm not sure the gear could fall down in the block unless the oil pump driveshaft broke too. I could see the roll pin breaking but the gear is still on the end of the oil pump drive. That is unless the gear broke.

Hope you find it when you go fishing for it.

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Dang, that’s kinda crazy. Just to give you a perspective, I installed and new HEI distributor into that vortec 454 in the C4 (as I know you already knew as you’ve seen my build thread). It came with an iron gear on it from summit, as that normally is what works for the older mark IV BBC cam gears. But for the gen 6 roller cam, an iron gear was the wrong metal. Just a few months ago (after I knew I got the motor running with the aftermarket EFI, just to make sure it would run) I pulled the distributor back out to install a Melonized (softer metal) gear that works with the stock cam gear that was in the motor. I will say, getting the roll pin in and out to swap the gear was really annoying. It was a very tight fit and I had to get real with it to get it in and out. So it would be crazy to me if that’s what sheered on yours which allowed the whole cam gear to fall off the shaft all together!! I’m very interested to see what you find when you pull the pan

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Sailor mouth Scott made an appearance, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before. I was so proud ! He was a good sport about , just one of those those things you can’t help. I think it helped that he knows Nate and I would make sure we got it off the trail.
Yes, I was not worried that we wouldn't try everything possible to get the truck out. I'm glad I wheel with you guys.

Part of the reason I've stopped doing club snow runs is there isn't anyone that could help me like that. I'm not saying they'd leave me behind, they just wouldn't be able to pull me out.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
@mrk5 I would drop the pan to inspect the oil pump. It is possible the oil pump bound up and the the dist gear snapped. It would be within reason the gear would snap on the pin holes and the pin to disappear.
If this is a motor you care about and plan on using for years to come I would even put a new pump in.
Does sound nice and healthy romping in the snow

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@mrk5 I would drop the pan to inspect the oil pump. It is possible the oil pump bound up and the the dist gear snapped. It would be within reason the gear would snap on the pin holes and the pin to disappear.
If this is a motor you care about and plan on using for years to come I would even put a new pump in.
Does sound nice and healthy romping in the snow

FWIW he installed a new pump and pan a couple years back.

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW he installed a new pump and pan a couple years back.
Is suspect to me, when a distributor gear splits. what caused it. Many times it is obvious the dist seized, most times only loose a tooth or 2. but a missing gear ?
I am thinking your post is alluding to another trail dilemma ?

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Is suspect to me, when a distributor gear splits. what caused it. Many times it is obvious the dist seized, most times only loose a tooth or 2. but a missing gear ?
I am thinking your post is alluding to another trail dilemma ?

I was doing nothing more than stating the fact he replaced the oil pump not long ago.

Top Bottom