CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

96 Dyna Basket Case Build

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Been a while since a bikes been in the house. I had good luck flipping the Jeep and couldn’t pass up the deal on this pile o parts. Have everything it’s missing except a rear fender and hand controls sitting on the shelf. Some odds and ends are missing, but ebay should fill in. So here we go.

1996 Fxdl
100” ultima (dropped valve)
5 speed with chain final drive
Plans to put 13 spoke mags with the 39mm narrow glide forks.
I had good luck running a gsxr muffler on my old fxdx, will shoot for an akrapovic model on this one too. It has a unique tone with the v-twin and breathes enough for 100 year old technology.
If the 100” is beyond rebuild it came with a stock 80”. It will get head porting and a bump in compression to match an andrews cam.

If any members have dyna parts let me know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Popped the cam chest on the spare motor to look it over. Probably going to drop it in after a compression check, it looks like a runner. Sold the spare transmission to fund new tires and some little parts it needed. Should be up on wheels by next weekend, then the rebuild can start. I'll post up some pics soon.

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Been fighting with whatever shit is going around, so I'm pretty weak at the moment. I did score a commercial bike lift last weekend, just haven't had the energy to get it out of the truck.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a Dana wide glide.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Sorry you feel shitty.

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Got the lift out of the truck and wiped down. It’s not bad for the price. ($50 more than a bike jack) still need to get a wheel chock/clamp setup. New from Handy they’re less than $200. Could probably use a trailer type chick instead. We shall see. Before and after a quick wipe down.

B3E4086E-E7BA-4E23-BC28-BE2289004053.jpeg

DCD9E0DF-311D-43A0-A96E-A7736CC98817.jpeg

7F9315BE-A132-41CF-A22F-02FA6C29B1D0.jpeg

Big Ray

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
a stroked evo is a monstrous thing...always wanted a 96 kit, never quite got the $$ for it.

Probably a good thing, as a drank way too much back then...

Had a 86 evo, put an Andrew's cam, s.e. module, S&S e carb, and pipes on it. It gave great performance.

We went to Myrtle Beach bike week, I was 350 , ex was pushing 300. Plus our gear. Bike had a load but performed flawlessly. Far exceeded the axle weight rating lol...

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you on the weight and the stroker motor. I used to joke with my wife when we met she had to stay at 120 or else she couldn’t ride. I was enough for both of us lol. I’m trying to avoid the urge to rebuild the 100” to something bigger. Part of me hopes the crank/rods are hammered so I save money and put the stock motor in it. So far it’s not looking good for this one.
Pretty sure these aren’t supposed to come out so easy.

image.jpg

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Broken valve?
Wow...
Yeah, the guy I picked it from abused it. Wide open throttle type stuff. This motor had less than 500 miles on it. Everything is super clean aside from this. ALL the broken parts exited through the exhaust, no scratches on the cylinder wall either. Bottom end has zero metal in it, not even metal glitter so I think I lucked out. Going to split the cases and have the crank trued and rods checked. If they're outta whack, I'll add a 4 5/8" stroke setup and 4 1/8" cylinders for a 124" engine. The cases have a 4" bolt pattern and 4 1/4" spigots now. If they check out okay, I'll still run the bigger cylinders and be at 113". Should rip pretty good with the cam that's in it currently. (.600/.580 lift - 248/252 duration)

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Going to swap the original motor back in and get it running. Picked up a 2 into 1 Bassani pipe used for cheap. Trying to decide if I want to swap the cam and do the gaskets. If I pull the heads for gaskets I'll bump the compression. (probably leaving the motor as-is) The down side to this motor is the lip that seals the primary is blown out. Not sure if the gasket kit for the repair works, has anyone used the James primary gasket fix on their primary?

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My wish list for the 80" if I had the funds would be:
Revolution Performance 92" big bore kit
Balanced and trued crankshaft
Rev Perf CNC headwork/porting
Jims 1.625 ratio roller rockers
S&S billet Rocker Boxes
42mm Mikuni carb (already have)
Woods W9B (.630) or T-Man .625
Andrews adjustable pushrods
Jims lifters
Supertrapp with 4" diameter can and 20 discs with an open end cap.

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Are you going to rebuild the big engine eventually?
Yes, I'm looking for parts now. I'm not familiar with Ultima, this is my first one. It's a Timken bearing style setup which is good. It will need the cases split and the crank rebuilt. The front rod is bent and I would like to upgrade the rotating assembly. The cases are really nice and beefy too. Made in the US good stuff. The flywheels are not bad, just unknown brand/quality (will probably reuse), the crank uses a Jims pin so it's getting reused and the h-beam rods are from Carillo, so I hope it can be straightened out, we'll see, if not I'll use S&S I-beam for replacements. I'm going to do the rebuild minus the machine work myself. I have done everything multiple times except a lower end rebuild so I want to learn. Gives me a reason to buy more tools LOL

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'll post up shots of the cases tonight, they look like quality parts versus the thinner HD cases of that era.
The main issue is finding Ultima heads. The bore pattern is 4" so it opens up using other brand big bore heads, just harder or expensive to find right now. Ideally I'd like a used set of S&S heads to have ported and new valves, guides etc to upgrade with. It's crazy the cylinders are fine, a small overbore & hone will clean them up. @Fastereddie got a look at it Monday, and surprised him too. The broken valve exited through the exhaust.

eric67camino

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wish list for the 80" if I had the funds would be:
Revolution Performance 92" big bore kit
Balanced and trued crankshaft
Rev Perf CNC headwork/porting
Jims 1.625 ratio roller rockers
S&S billet Rocker Boxes
42mm Mikuni carb (already have)
Woods W9B (.630) or T-Man .625
Andrews adjustable pushrods
Jims lifters
Supertrapp with 4" diameter can and 20 discs with an open end cap.
I had good experience dealing with Revolution Performance.

I did a 90" big bore install on a Sportster. Guy from Revolution was very helpful and motor seemed to turn out alright.

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I had the time and money I'd build a 90" flat track hooligan bike to rip around town on. I will be using them for the crankshaft services on the stroker motor when I get to it.

How did you like the 90" sporty, did it rip or what?

Top Bottom