A project crossroad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eodcoduto, Oct 11, 2017.

1. eodcoduto

eodcoduto 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I spent the better part of a year looking for a 6.2l K20 Suburban and finally found one that I convinced myself was a good deal. Traded a Honda generator and $200 for an '85 Silverado with a 6.2l, towing package, 4.10s, and a blown trans. What started as a simple trans replacement has turned into an engine rebuild, NV4500 swap, more money spent at rockauto.com than I wanted to for small stuff, pulled the carpet and put in the rubber floor covering, added manual hubs and so on. I bought this for camping and EMP resistance because I like to be ready.
    I thought I was going to retire from the Corps out in here in Twentynine Palms two years from now, but an opportunity came up and we are headed to the east coast in the spring.
    So now I am four months from moving with a titled driving project vehicle that needs the trans rebuilt, 3rd gear syncro is gone, and tires. Do I keep it and pay the $1500 to ship it across country or sell it, take my losses and try to find an similar vehicle on the other side of the country? The pluses of the Suburban is ZERO rust, typical high desert faded paint and the drive train I wanted. Minuses are stated above.
    Throw out your opinions.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You’ll never get anywhere near the $$ you’ve already spent on it back if you sell. Plus you know what’s wrong with this burb and what needs to be fixed. Chances of finding another burb in that condition on the east coast (especially if it’s in the salt belt) aren’t in your favor. I say keep it and ship it.

mtnman and eodcoduto like this.
  3. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    If you are heading to the east coast, I say that there is no question. Take the suburban!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand, there are lots of guys back east who think about getting a truck without rust and taking it home. If you end up being in the same situation as others when you get there, how will that sit?? (No rust free truck!!!)

4. Bent77

Bent77 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    @handloader90 just had a truck hauled across country. Drop him a PM

5. eodcoduto

I'll hit him up, I shipped my G20 van from Quantico to here 2 years ago and it was $1200 and one of the worst business transactions I have ever done!

sreidmx likes this.
  6. Bent77

Build(s):
    Yeah nobody wants that. His seemed easier, at least that's how it came across

7. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Mine was pretty cake. There are a lot of guys that flatbed haul campers out to California and will pick up cars to haul back so they aren't empty. Mine was $1500 but it was on 40s and loaded with extra weight so I paid a fair bit extra.

eodcoduto likes this.
  8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is the military getting that cheap and won't send it for you? They kept talking me out of it, course I was young and dumb and didn't ask questions.

9. handloader90

handloader90 Building! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Military won't ship stateside.

I paid $600 to have my K10 LWB shipped from Fort Campbell, KY to Fort Carson, CO back in May.

10. handloader90

handloader90 Building! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Try this guy.

Screenshot_20171012-083257.png

11. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Try to go straight to the shipper. Brokers are the worst and what makes the charge go up so much. Plus they suck at getting communication back and forth.

6872xtc likes this.
  12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    from a east coast rust belt guy if its even remotly clean take it with you .

rust is heavy in vehicles from mid pa up to main . winters they dump salt / liquid de-icer .

heck skim my 2 projects in my sig line for ideas on rust . and i try and find the best non rusted metal i can find when doing my projects.

2 wheel burn & plow machine

13. eodcoduto

Yea I spent 9 years on the east coast before coming out here and I grew up in Nebraska so rust free metal is still a shock to me. I want to keep it but the trans needing rebuilt really put a damper on my plans, I knew better than to drop a used transmission in without going through it first.

Smokinthehippies likes this.
  14. JT88K5

JT88K5 Registered Member Premium Member

If it was drivable, would you drive it east? If so I would consider spending the money you would have spent to ship (~$1200) on whatever needs done to get it done faster. Then again it’s gonna cost you close to $750 to drive it there with probably
    some risk of problems.

On second thought... ship it. As others said, if you can locate a hauler directly and cut out the broker ($200), $1000 to ship should be doable. It cost me $1150 to have my k5 shipped from SF to central PA through an online broker,Driver made it in 42 hours, had a thick Russian accent, bent the antenna, had it on the bottom under a oil leaking pos car. Entire hood was covered in oil and 3000 miles of feb road dirt. Do your homework.

15. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    You really don't need 3rd gear do you? If @Bent77 can drive his broken 465 back from Moab with no second gear, a ride without 3rd ought to be a snap.

campfire and eodcoduto like this.
  16. Bent77

Build(s):
    Just avoid driving over Eisenhower...

ZooMad75 likes this.