CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Aftermarket cruise control?

k5Thumper

Registered Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck installing a cruise control system on a vehicle that has never previously had one? If so, what do you recommend? Trying to keep it clean and as close to factory looking as possible

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I retro fitted my blazer with stock cruise for junk yard. The hole you need to cut in firewall is dimpled, just hole saw it out. It is a do it yourself thing. Take pictures before removal and the install is not that hard. 87,88,89 Blazer,Sub has mechanical speedo. Not sure when the trucks went electric speedo.

paratrooper307

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You've got a couple routes you can go. Cruise control ultimately is a fairly simple device, typically using vacuum or speed sensors to maintain consistent speed.

Obviously the cleanest, most "stock" look is going to be original components, but they can be difficult to find and/or expensive if you can't pull from a junkyard. All the parts on the Blazer should be interchangeable, so it's just the matter of getting the right brackets, wiring, turn signal control, and components of the cruise control.

I know Ididit makes an add-on universal system that's pretty unobtrusive. It uses its own speed sensor (for non-computer applications) or can read pulses off the speed sensor (for computerized vehicles). I had a friend that used one on his muscle car and he said it worked alright.

Top Bottom