Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any fix for the plastic tank on an aluminum radiator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Aug 20, 2002.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Has anyone discovered a magic elixir that will seal a crack in a plastic radiator tank? One of the tanks on the radiator in my S-Jimmy has a small crack in it, but all of the radiator repair epoxies that I've found don't list plastic as something they will stick too. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif GM wants $66 for a new side tank, plus $48 for the gaskets! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif If I can't find a cheaper way to fix it, I'll just buy a complete radiator. It's only a few bucks more! This radiator appears to be in fine shape other than this crack, even though it is 11 years old.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

A radiator shop can install a aftermarket tank for less than that I'll bet. May as well have it rodded out too...
    Jim

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For a temp fix, try JB weld...

4. DragnFly

DragnFly Registered Member

Hey Harry my name is Jason and I own a 1983 6.2l K10 Blazer (Diesel) When I got the blazer I noticed it had a crack in the radiator over flow tank, it would leak so much that I had to fill the thing every other day. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I know how you feel cause I couldnt find any radiator tanks at the junkyard and the price for a new one was outrageous. I finally got mad enough and got a tube of cheap superglue I got at FredMeyer and pached it that way. The weird thing is......IT WORKED! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Just clean the surface real well then hold the crack together and start pouring it on. It takes a while and AOLT of super glue, once one layer dries put another one on and so on. I superglued my hands together a few times but it was worth it. Well I hope this helps any, it worked for me, let me know if it works for you. gotmud227@mail.com -GOOD LUCK!-

5. FWP

FWP CRS Premium Member

Build(s):
    It's possible it may be hot air welded, although I've never tried it in that application. Depends on the type of plastic it's made out of. Most of the plastic I notice on vehicles is either ABS or poly, which is pretty easy to weld, but I'm not sure on a rad side tank. If it's a composite of some sort, forget my idea /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , and replace it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I found this last night: http://www.urethanesupply.com/v3n2.htm It looks like the plastic welding will work, but finding a shop that has it (and the nylon rod) might prove to be the issue.