Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody use hammocks for camping instead of tents??

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 76k5grrl, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 76k5grrl

76k5grrl killin it Premium Member

Fumes what the hell have you done to my nice peaceful hammock thread? :eek1::haha:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

SNAFU. You're welcome.:pimp:

3. Richcz28

Richcz28 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I need to pay more attention to this section. I run a http://hennessyhammock.com for canoe camping. I have the scout. I have been in heavy rain and totally mosquito infested areas with no issues. Condensation has never been a problem because of the open screen.

I did camp in VT one time and there were lot's of Coyotes cackling nearby. Being a hanging sack of meat in the dark made me a bit nervous.

I don't do much backpacking. I have trouble hiking without skis.

I definitely think there is a minimum hammock temp. They definitely are not as fun under 40 degrees. The sleeping bag gets squished under your bum and there is no insulation.

I also probably would not sleep double in one.

4. 76k5grrl

^^nice link. Thanks.

I heard it's going to be like 60 degrees this coming week in CT area so I'm going to bring mine with me on the road trip and see if I get any use out of it. It's been packed up since I went to Lost Maples, pics of which I did not post but suffice it to say I did not end up sleeping in it there because I didn't get a rain fly and it was sprinkling...

5. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    Anything ever come of this? I just bought a Yukon hammock and an Etowah tarp to use when I'm on the trail as opposed to my MASSIVE 8 person tent. Some advice would be great, I want to pull an overnighter sometime this summer.

6. Richcz28

Build(s):
    Do those have bug nets or do you live someplace without Mosquitos? I keep my hammock in a dry compression sack so it doesn't take up much space if I need to conserve volume.

7. TerryD

Build(s):
    There are not many mosquitos where we've camped in the past. Generally not a lot of standing water on mountain tops. I have more mosquito trouble in my back yard where it's damp.

8. 76k5grrl

I still haven't managed to pull a trip with the hammock, but have experimented with it a lot in the backyard.

1- get a sleeping pad- convection is a real thing, as previously mentioned, and just laying there for a few hours in the dark, my backside was a-freezin. I got a thermarest self-inflating pad at REI for about $80- mine is particularly designed for women. It's very, very comfortable, light like WOAH, and really easy to use. I should have bought one years ago.

2- practice setup of the tarp/netting. I still can't bang it out like my old tent, and in the rain/high winds I would really be in a bind.

3- significant "sinking" factor with mine- be ready for the straps to stretch, even if they say they won't, because they will. someone here (?) mentioned paracord was more appropriate than commercially available nylon straps.

More feedback after actual trail use.

9. TerryD

Build(s):
    I just got some Amsteel in the mail to make whoopie slings for mine. It's the same stuff as synthetic winch line and is supposed to be minimal stretch. I also ordered extra to make a ridgeline and some to spare.

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust

^^^^Amsteel whoopee slings!!! FTW!!

Paracord will stretch. Even more when wet. Amsteel doesn't stretch. With amsteel whoopee slings on the hammock, and some webbing to go around the tree setup is a breeze. 2-3 minutes. I use mule tape for my tree straps, and a marlin spike hitch to attach the whoopee slings. Fast setup and takedown, no stretch. EASY adjustability.

Each piece of mule tape is about 15' long, with a overhand knot on a bight tied on one end. These are tied as a choker around a tree, and the marlin spike is tied in the standing end. For the marlin spike toggles, I use two pieces of fatwood, about 1/2" diameter, and 3" or so long.

Mule tape is a flat braided nylon 1" wide 'rope' used in the electrical industry. It is rated at 2500 lbs.

11. TerryD

Build(s):
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  12. TerryD

Build(s):
    So it's 3:50am and I'm finally in my hammock. We decided to go camping yesterday and I wanted to try out my gear. I'm in a mummy bag on top of a military wool blanket and I'm quite cozy. Haven't quite gotten a flat lady yet but I'm getting the hang of it. Slept good till about 2:00 when the Griswalds rolled in in their exhaust leaking mini-van and woke up the entire camp.

13. Richcz28

Build(s):
    It's been perfect weather in these parts for camping. It's smart of you to get used to sleeping in the hammock before taking it out. Any pics of the yukon set up? How are those whoopie slings working out for you?

14. TerryD

Build(s):
    The whoopie slings are working great. I think I needed trees farther apart. Couldn't quite get my angles right but managed a flatter lay after posting that and having to get up to go to the restroom.

I've wanted to get out more but with the stuff that's been going on its been hard too make the time. Last night was simply an act of sheer will for us to pack up and go.

Here are the pictures I took this morning. Needed another center guy on my tarp on the other side and longer guys to spread it out more but it work good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

I need to figure out how to use my cpap in a hammock...I would get lynched the way I snore!

JoshHefnerX likes this.
  16. Vombrown

Vombrown Mountain Man Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have used them for years guiding and hunting in Colorado and Montana. It's the only way to go when you have to carry everything you need on your back. I have had a Hennessy and then another I can't remember the name of. Eventually I picked up some rip stop parachute material and made my own. I had tons of the stuff and made a ground cover and tarp out of it. I use a marmot sleeping bag that is ultra light weight in it. Never had much of a bug issue. Sleeping bag, and all associated hammock/tarp/ground cover weigh in at like 3 pounds.

I set it up so that when I am in it I am only about 10" off of the ground. Much more comfort than ground sleeping. Especially in snow.

17. Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I am an avid hammock camper. I have used them across the US in all conditions. There are quite a few snow days in there too. Here is a pic of a set up with my 5yo above me.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

18. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    If I was camping by myself I'd get one of those tent cots.

19. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Dam!!! That Devil cat in the corner is freaking me out!!!!!!!:reddevil:

Abusfullofnuns likes this.
  20. Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Lol. That's my bear protection. See avatar. He's pretty freaky in the woods. Disappears at night until you step on him by accident.