Back again..... Vegas to Reno

Discussion in 'Pre-runner | Desert Racing' started by retroblazer, Jun 16, 2016.

1. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not much progress this week on the Blazer. I spent a couple of days in Chicago on biz, but I did work on my trans jack for the Sub. I should have it finished tonight, and ready to pull the trans in the next day or two.
    And thanks for reading my junk.

natemc and sreidmx like this.
  2. retroblazer

Put your safety glasses on .... it might hurt your eyes to look...... at such butchery !!! This is my first attempt to make trans jack. The bottom of the pan of the Sub is 30" off the floor, so none of the normal trans jacks reached, and those that came close, were $300-$400. This mount, fully extended, adds another 8" over the top of the jack. 10252016 149.JPG

sreidmx likes this.
  3. retroblazer

10252016 146.JPG

The T400 trans pan in my Blazer is longer than the Sub's 4L60E, but it is the same width, so I left the back of the frame flat, so both would work. It was one of those, Oh yeah, I should check to see what it would take for the bracket to fit both trans.

It's official, I cannot estimate my ability to fabricate. It took days longer than planned. I thought I could make this in a day, and any normal person on this site probably could, but between getting some scrap, and figuring it out what I wanted in adjustability, it took forever. It's a good thing I don't make my living at building stuff, but I love doing it, even though I suck at it. It is also why I really appreciate craftsmanship when I see it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    natemc and sreidmx like this.
  4. natemc

natemc Adventure is an Addiction Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    looks pretty good to me.

5. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Not sure how you are going to get that disc setup under the truck!!!!!!!

Serious note. Rasing the trans off of the jack like that makes real unstable. Still took 2 of us to pull my transmission and be stable.

sreidmx likes this.
  6. sreidmx

sreidmx Fortify Offroad Vendor GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I used one of those 98$ deals from Harbor freight. Worked really well kind of similar to your design just with a scissor jack so fine adjustments were easier.. try it and see..

natemc likes this.
  7. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Have used this one about 7 times and everytime it gets weirder. I have hanged my 4l60e and 241 off it a couple times. It will do it but it gets wobbly.

8. retroblazer

I have been trying to get to the barn all weekend. I was just starting to make some progress getting the exhaust system out of the way, when I got a call from my kid. Hey, Dad, on my way. Renting a uhaul to move the couch today. ( News to dear old Dad) which meant that I spent all frigging day driving up to the Bay and back ( 220 miles . And since we have the truck, might as well kill the rest of Sunday getting trees from the nursery in Turlock, 50 miles round trip. It's 1:30 pm now and I'm finally going to head to the Barn. Pictures of the trans on me or the ground next.

sreidmx likes this.
  9. retroblazer

More hands the better, but I have used two ratchet straps attached to the frame on each side, straddling the trans in the middle, so that I didn't have to worry about dropping it off the jack. I'm not too worried about getting it down, it's the precision of putting it back, that needs the stability. Worst case/ take the wheels off the Sub, and cut the lift in my trans jack from 8" down to 3". But what is slowing me down at the moment is I can't find the stupid allen head, that holds the jack pad or, now my trans jack adapter. It's amazing how much time is wasted when you're not well organized. It is a constant battle to spend the right amount of time on staying organized. I know I could spend the next year just building out, and organizing my space, but I'll probably spend the next three or more, bouncing back and forth, of actually working on car stuff, and building the barn out.

10. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have become anal about spending 15 minutes after every working session to clean up. Dtives me up a wall to have to hunt tools.

Takes me long enough to get out of bed in the morning, I don't need to waist time while working.

retroblazer, 4door99 and sreidmx like this.
  11. retroblazer

An update: The transmission is still in the Suburban, and the engine for the Blazer is in State College, Pa at D&L Automotive for a up-graded rotating assembly.
    My work life had taken me on as crazy path for the past couple of years, but I have no complaints other than missing the cash needed to play. My time has been split between operating 45 acres of walnuts and hunting for investors for the first company to pioneer the use of super-capacitors as batteries, Kilowatt Labs.

12. retroblazer

It’s back. Thanks to Jeff Dolan for bringing it back from a couple of months at LeDuc’s. It hasn’t been back since Steve and Scott picked it up four years ago. The engine is still in PA but almost finished.

3D528D6B-72A1-45C8-B748-FB788CCEBC26.jpeg

sreidmx, Bent77, natemc and 1 other person like this.
  13. retroblazer

14. retroblazer

And yes, just last week, I finally dropped the trans with my handy Harbor Freight table jack. Progress at last ...

CBA7388B-FB69-4E08-9661-6767DF096EB3.jpeg

sreidmx, Bent77 and natemc like this.
  15. Fastereddie

Fastereddie Sorry if I offended you. Not. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    sreidmx, retroblazer and Desert_K5 like this.
  16. retroblazer

More distractions, I had to replace the a/c compressor on my wife’s 2011 Cad SRX 3.0 V6 It has 180,000 miles. I noticed that the front cover was leaking, so I decided I’d do everything while I was at it. I’d rather not buy her a new car now, and I had just replaced all of the front suspension with the exception of the rack. The engine has a little bit of a reputation for timing chains going bad, but it really happens primarily from lack of oil or poor maintenance. I was happy to find everything good, with no evidence of deposits under the valve covers or the timing cover.

image.jpg