BB17 Carnage thread

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by ChrisPerry, Sep 8, 2017.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I killed the 4L80E in my Suburban on the way to Moab. Made it there but had to have Moab 4x4 Outpost install a new one for me. @blazinzuk bent a rear leaf spring on my Toyota trying to drive escalator. I've got a leaking wheel cylinder on the yota. Then to cap it all off I killed the ring and pinion in the rear end of the Toyota.

That hard luck award belongs to me!

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    You will get my vote next year.

F.S.F.W and skunked like this.
  3. skunked

skunked in the garage Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I felt bad for Brent too, poor bastard didn't even make it out of CA with a smoked Allison.

F.S.F.W, tRustyK5, bmxbryant9 and 6 others like this.
  4. 78K30

78K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Any idea what killed the 4L80?

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    That Toyota is really heavy..............

6. muddysub

Build(s):
    It had 190k on it, pushed it too hard pulling the Toyota over the mountain passes on I-70. It shot up over 260* and stayed there for too long. It never lost any gears but it slipped really bad. Driving around town at 35mph it was running 200*.

78K30 likes this.
  7. 78K30

Build(s):
    Age certainly was a factor then! I only got my old K2500's 4L80 up to 130,000. But it was towing loads that make the yota look light. It's awesome they were able to get the trans swapped out for you though!

muddysub likes this.
  8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Someone @kgblazerfive should start a thread in the Blazer Bash forum for people to share their hardluck stories to vote on next year....

Bent77, AgDieseler, muddysub and 7 others like this.
  9. Blazooki

Blazooki five-0 Premium Member

Build(s):
    Found some major carnage...the back tire flexed up high enough to dent my ammo box...coulda been catastrophic

20170914_200809.jpg

10. wheels87k5

wheels87k5 Armed status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Sorry about the crappy luck you had. And I'm sorry I did't get to meet you in person. I saw you around but anytime I wanted to come introduce myself and my wife you were busy and I don't like to intrude. Next time we'll get together. Your wife let me check out her legs, just before we started for Hell's Revenge. Very nice. And the artwork was awesome too. :D

Now to the little carnage I had that kept us from going on the "Scotts Big Adventure" and "Moab Rim".

We had a small bit of bad luck getting to Moab. But nothing compared to some. We were on HWY 160 going through the mountains when we came upon a sign very similar to this one.......

[​IMG]

Only.....it said 7% and a speed limit sign with 45 mph and 25 mph followed. It's kind of hard to go that speed when you're doing 60 mph. I started to slow the truck down because in the near future there were two hair pin curves. For some odd reason, the truck didn't want to slow down. Something about hauling a trailer with a 3 ton vehicle on it.....it didn't want to go slow. I kept pumping on the brakes to slow us down but it didn't take much to build up speed again. Seems as if the trailer brakes weren't working. I was right.

Kim was looking for something to hang onto besides the grab handle on top of the glovebox. No dice. I could tell by the fear in her eyes that I had better do something....and fast. So, I started laying on the brakes hoping that there was enough pad to get this black beast to come to a stop. Over time, with a lot of shaking from the hot rotors, the truck was slowing down. The brake pedal started to go more towards the floor so I knew it wouldn't be long before they were toast. As we were approaching the "Runaway truck ramp" we were getting more slowed down but still couldn't stop. Well, after using what muscle I had left in both my legs, we came to a stop right at a scenic lookout. About 1/4 mile before the "Runaway truck ramp".

Now don't get me wrong. I've been scared before. But this made my butt pucker. I mean, you could have shoved a chunk of coal up there and it would have turned into a diamond in seconds. I couldn't imagine how Kim felt. I'm guessing two or three diamonds. But thankfully....THANK YOU GOD......we were stopped. We were so shaken up that we forgot to take a picture of the smoke coming from behind all 4 tires. The young couple that were taking pics of the scenery, stopped taking pics of the scenery. They were in awe of how much smoke was bellowing out. We were in awe that we were still alive and didn't have to take the ramp. It took some time but we finally got our thoughts together and knew it was time to move on. If the brakes were still there.

I immediately called my son-in-law to get some answers on what he thought had happened and how to get off the mountain. After some discussion, we decided it was best to unload the Blazer and drive them both down. And it worked great. While we were talking about the options, Kim took some pics of this small waterfall that was to our right, coming out of the mountain side a few feet up.

[​IMG]

This was the scene on the opposite side of the road.

[​IMG]

We drove to Pagosa Springs to load up the Blazer......and off we went.

We checked the route to Moab and noticed that we were going to get to town earlier than we thought. We called, Beth, the lady that was in charge of the cabin we rented, and asked if we could check in early since nobody had stayed there in quite a few days. She said it would be fine so now we really can't wait to get there. We are getting close to Moab and seen the road we were to turn on and head to the cabin. It was "Old Airport Road". Directions said to head East and then turn right at the T section. Mark your odometer and go 10 miles. There would be two driveways and we needed to turn into the second one. The excitement was building. Until. As we headed on to our 10 mile run, we were slowly going up. I could tell because her 2006 Z71 Silverado had a hard time accelerating without struggling. We experienced that when we went through the Colorado mountains. You know........your truck slows way down no matter how hard you push it? I babied her truck to keep it from overheating and it did pretty good. Especially for a truck with 188,000 miles on it before we left the house. Sometimes we couldn't go more than 5 mph but I wasn't going to push the transmission any more than necessary. But anyway, as we were only about 4 miles away from the cabin, the climb got steeper and curvier.

By the time we got to the cabin driveway, the gas pedal was all the way to the floor and we were only going about 2 mph. I could smell the tranny fluid from it getting too hot. And we lost all forward gears. I still had reverse and I was able to back it into the cabin driveway. All the way to the cabin. I thought the tranny was toast. And I was pissed. It was my fault for not asking, but I had no idea that the cabin was up in the sky somewhere. I thought it was down below on level ground. But noooooooooooo. I assumed and it may have cost me.

Thankfully, after talking with Beth, she let us move to one of the cabins down by the highway. A nice little cabin. Only.....the bed was in a loft so everytime you had to get up and go to the bathroom, you had to climb stairs. Now you young'uns probably won't have a problem with that. I'm not a young'un and I found that to be a problem in the long run. We won't rent a cabin with the only bed in a loft, but we still enjoyed the stay and the views.

Finally, the small carnage:

When we first arrived at the gate, to pay to get in, I could hear a small clacking noise. Nothing loud but it was still there and I had no clue what it was. We paid, got into the parking lot and the noise was gone. I popped the hood and seen no evidence of anything going on so I shut it off and we started airing down the tires to get ready for the trail. After the tires were aired down I noticed @muddysub's wife standing by the restrooms. I remembered reading the CK5 ink thread and wanted to see her legs "Tattoos". Beautiful artwork for sure. She was very nice not to slap me since I could have been some complete stranger just being a pervert. But I assured her I was with the group. Of other perverts. :whistle:

We were getting ready to get on the trail so I started up the Blazer and the clacking noise got louder. I thought, NO WAY. Not now. Why me? Ended up being the fan blade hitting the shroud. I don't know why all of a sudden this would start now. It never gave me fits before. But with the help of some brothers, we were able to cut away what was necessary to fix the problem. Nothing major. Just enough around the bottom of the shroud. Stevens' dad was standing by in case we needed any more assistance. He gave us a thumbs up and off we went. Of course, the rest of the group was already out of site but we slowly caught up. What an awesome climb up that fin. Kim thanked me heavily for the "Oh sh!t handles".

We made it up with ease and couldn't wait to see what was next. After some wheeling with the group, and going up some more of the trail, I could hear a grinding, clunking noise. Every time we would go up, the noise could be heard. When driving on level ground or descending we couldn't hear any noise. I wasn't sure what it was....maybe the front LS trak lock? Wouldn't it make noise no matter what level we drove? I kept going hoping for the best. We were able to handle the rest of the trail with only noise once in a while. The noise seemed to fade away some but was still there. After the trail we loaded up and headed to the cabin. I looked under the Blazer and checked for ujoint failure or any other signs of damage but found none.

We drove it to the BBQ without a problem. No noise. After eating, and before the raffle drawings, I asked Jack @DickeysK5 what he thought it was. He said to check for play at the ujoint in front of the transfer case. I was hoping that was the problem. Simple fix. I carry spares. I even carry extra spark plugs. Somebody needed one on the trail and I felt good that I could help a brother out. But after we got back to the cablin, I couldn't find anything wrong with the ujoint. The shaft turned nice and smooth. No noise at all. Well, back to the drawing board.

I debated all night whether or not to drive the Saturday trail and decided that safety came first. I didn't want to be going up some steep climb and something brake. Leaving me useless and possibly rolling back and causing harm to my wife or anybody around. I showed up at the parking area, driving her Silverado, where they were getting ready to take on "Scotts Big Adventure". I talked to Scott and Nicole and let them know that something wasn't right with the Blazer so we weren't going on the trails. They felt bad for us but knew that was the best thing to do. We said our good-byes.....and went back to the cabin.

Since we weren't going on anymore trails, we decided to take on the Arches National Park. It was awesome and we had a great time. When we were done, we headed back to the cabin for the night. Enjoy a nice meal and have some alone time. Sulk, really. We really wanted to do some more trails but I was at a total loss as to what the grinding and clunking noise was. I remember someone saying to check the gap between the CV joint and crossmember. I believe it was someone talking to Jack before they were going on the trail. So I got a flashlight and went out to look. And sure enough. There was the noise maker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both ears of the CV joint were being ground off. Every time we went up, the droop would cause the shaft to be pulled down and the grinding began. Since I'm getting ready to replace the 350 TBI with a 454 Vortec, I decided to wait and take care of the problem at that time. I've got to move the crossmember anyway so some modification will be happening. Plus I'll need to send the front drive shaft in to be lengthened and they can take care of that while they have it.

We are very fortunate that we had very mild carnage. It could have been a lot worse if we continued with the trails on a weak section of drive shaft. Thanks for all the tips on finding the problem.

We will be back next year. We..................................already reserved a cabin in Moab Rim RV park for BB18.:woot:

I met and talked with Wade, @ktmoutfront, after we arrived on Thursday. And I told him that I will be retiring in less than 5 years, and I would like to help with Blazer Bash in any way I can. Hopefully by then I'll have some trail experience. So I plan on sticking around for a while. :doah:

Scott and Nicole, THANK YOU for keeping Blazer Bash alive and well. It was our first and it will not be our last.

500$k5, F.S.F.W, bmxbryant9 and 10 others like this.
  11. muddysub

Build(s):
    @wheels87k5
    She gets that a lot, she's used to it haha!
    You should have said hi man, it's always a little chaotic meeting so many people and trying to keep everyone straight.

wheels87k5 likes this.
  12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    dam Willie...what a story. I have run that scenario through my mind before....a runaway rig with 10-12K pushing you down a mountain hill and surely crashing and killing everyone to death!
    My first time in Moab with the Maiden was its first (maiden) voyage after a 1-1/2 year build. we had a few minor issues on the trails but nothing to keep us from grounded for too long. all in all it was a great experience and I'm anxious to get back again to experience more Moab wheeling with the CK5'ers!

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Our first Blazer Bash 12 years ago wasn't much different. We wheeled Hells Revenge first day then blew up the rear ring & pinion 100ft into the second day's trail and ended our weekend.

And look where we ended up with Blazer Bash. :D

14. Blazooki

Build(s):
    I just noticed I lost another marker light cover on the trailer on the way home....

AgDieseler likes this.
  15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

Glad things worked out !

wheels87k5, 500$k5, F.S.F.W and 3 others like this.
  16. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Stuck going nowhere fast Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I told him about the song when I heard the story.

17. 78K30

Build(s):
    @Blazooki how are you liking the RZR seats after getting some seat time in them?

18. Blazooki

Build(s):
    I like them ok. They arent Beards for sure.. I was told the junk in trunk crowd prefers a little wider seat tho

19. DickeysK5

DickeysK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had some carnage on Friday at the Wall on Steel Bender. The rear drive shaft decided to become two pieces :eek:

P1010036.JPG

Here is a photo of @ktmoutfront welding it so Poco Loco could get off the trail :saweet:

P1010038.JPG

While checking over Poco Loco for other damage, discovered that a c-clip for an axle joint was backing out. Turns out that another was already gone. I used the Tom Wood's certificate from the raffle to get a new drive shaft and also ordered CrMo inner axle shafts, new u-joints, and full circle clips from ORD/Yukon.

IMG_20170915_192609411.jpg

Spend Friday night 9/15 and Saturday 9/16 putting in the new parts. Poco Loco is all back together and ready for our next adventure in mid-October at Chile Challenge in southern New Mexico :woot:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  20. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Roger that.

David

78K30 likes this.