Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bestop Tigertop alternative mounting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody mounted a Bestop Tigertop, the kind with the snaps that you have to screw into the body onto some sort of rail system or something other than the screwing into the bed? I want to put the same soft top on my Jimmy but don't want to drill and screw into the body. I had thought about getting an old hardtop and using it to screw the snaps into, but the top is too long as it is meant to go down the bedsides, past where the hardtop would bolt down onto the bedrails. Then taking the seam apart where the top and sides meet and having it restitched. However, I'm not sure if the back window would line up then after "shortening" the soft top sides. Maybe I would have to shorten up the rear windw also.....

2. NorCalGMC

NorCalGMC Registered Member

I mounted the Bestop on my '87... As time consuming as the 50-something snaps were to line up and drill, it was not a difficult job, and they really don't look that bad when the softop is off. If you don't want the snaps showing, I dont really know what you can do. I guess you could try to use L-bracket type rails, but the way the corners wrap - might be difficult. i believe there are other tops that do not require line-of-sight drilling, but they were a bit hard to come across, and not as good looking IMHO. good luck with whatever you decide to do!

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I thought about another top but I already have this one and I got a good deal on it