CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

big jimmy 91

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hi guys I am posting for my hubby who is outside changing the rear axle seals in his 91 Jimmy. He pulled apart the rear diff and found this strange block like thing. I am posting the link to our webshots and it is under the topic "What's This" LOL If anyone can tell us what the heck this is that would be awesome. And by the way I'm kinda gettin into this site now too, just watching over his shoulder at some of the cool videos and stuff. Thanks lots.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bigjimmy91

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I thought axles were horizontal?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Pics kinda fuzzy, but looks to me like some sort of homemade locker??? Anybody?

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Okay he took some more pics at different angles so maybe you can tell what it is now. He said from the front there looks to be all kinds of strange things in there. Thanks for looking. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

lol....was just crackin' on ya for postin' pics at 90 degrees. Unless he's got the truck rolled on it's side? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
I'd bet womeone was a machinist I fabbed-up a back-yard locker. Neccessity is the mother of invention ya know! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
BTW, has your wife read your sig??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/bigjimmy91

[/ QUOTE ]

big jimmy 91

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
LOL Ya I have read his sig.....not nice eh? LMAO Oh well no biggy. Thanks for responding so quick and just wondering what is the purpose of this lock thingy? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif (By the way I am blonde so, sorry if the question is a bit dumb.) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Positraction device......and don't read the blonde/misquito jk in the lounge /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Beast388

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The pics are kinda fuzzy, but that appears to be a Gov-lok. That is the infamous traction adding device used after GM quit using the "posi" or limited slip. There are quite a few people here on CK5 that have grenaded the factory Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Look for option code G80 on the glove box label. If you find it, then it is no doubt a Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

big jimmy 91

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response and does a gov-loc require a friction modifier added to the oil? What a strange looking thing, I guess it could be a gov-loc since it was a gov truck! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
digital cameras have a hard time focusing that close, especially in low light. Looks to be just two blurry shots repeated over and over. From what I can see, it is a Gov-lock. You can see the governor in some of the later pictures.

pauly383

Daddy383
Reaction score
Some say run modifiers, some say don't. I used 85w140 in mine. Mine made pop noises ever since I owned it. It blew up bad. I always thought mine was going to last since I drive it easy, I was wrong. If you keep running it and hear ANY noises , replace the splined discs before they ruin the gears and get wedged against the case and cause it to break and your axles come out (worst case scenario not trying to scare you). I run a 12 bolt with a lockright now, cheap solution for me, others run 8 lug stuff for ultimate strength /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
grenade locker...err...I mean Gov-lock. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

big jimmy 91

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
I poped the cover off the rear and went " WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" .It was the strangest looking thing with all these little moving parts and tiny watch springs etc. lol
sorry about the fuzzy pics. the dig. cam. is a cheap one and I still don't know how to use it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Well now I know what it is and will have to replace both diffs. in the future /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
This is the best source of info. that a guy could have
P.S. I will become a member as soon as cash is avaliable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

jwduke

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
The pics are kinda fuzzy, but that appears to be a Gov-lok. That is the infamous traction adding device used after GM quit using the "posi" or limited slip. There are quite a few people here on CK5 that have d the factory Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Look for option code G80 on the glove box label. If you find it, then it is no doubt a Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is a Gov-lock, I had one in my '80 & it had springs & washers like a Auburn Suregrip, or something on that order.

big jimmy 91

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
There is the option code G80 in the glove box.
It's all back together now so no more pics. lol
destruction is the fastest way to replacement /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
if anyone can id. it for sure that would be much appreciated

rnss82

Registered Member
Reaction score
im not sure but that looks just the same as our gov-lock duramaxes that are mil spec trucks and we use 90wt with no problems
/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
if anyone can id. it for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a Gov-lock and I am 100% sure. When they blow up it's usually spectacular...hence the 'grenade locker' comment.

Rene

Top Bottom