Carpet over bedliner?

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by HoytHarris, Nov 2, 2015.

1. HoytHarris

HoytHarris 1/2 Ton Status

Please just excuse my ignorance now, but I bought a 73 K5 in June of this year, and the entire interior is bed lined. I've been slowly working on restoring the interior and want to put carpet in now. Could this be removed or could I put new carpet straight over the berliner?

2. skunked

skunked in the garage Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I don't see why not. What's the concern?

3. HoytHarris

HoytHarris 1/2 Ton Status

I guess I'm just wondering if it would damage the carpet in any way

4. drew4x4

drew4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    No it wouldn't hurt the carpet. The only issue you may have is loose edges - some of the screw holes that held the old carpet down were probably covered.

5. 454Sub

454Sub 5/8 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    This works great and prevents rust from wet carpet. I just dumped a gallon of bedliner in my Burb, and rolled it all over the place and called it good. New jute padding and carpet and its actually fairly quiet with even open headers now. Allows for almost normal conversation driving. Which is impressive IMO.

TheSpy and Kain like this.
  6. 1975Jimmy

1975Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had my whole pan from the tailgate to the firewall sprayed with Rhinoliner when I got my Jimmy painted and recently laid a fresh ACC carpet kit on top of it. I can't prove it, but I think the Rhinoliner insulatated the inside of the truck, helping the cab stay cooler and ac work better while also keeping it quieter inside.

Btw, if your truck didn't come with carpet, or was a rolling she'll like mine was when I got it, when you install carpet you will need to find the carpet trim pieces that keeps it tight to the floor. I couldn't find the OE ones anywhere, so I made my own from carpet strips that I got at Home Depot. $28 for both, not a bad deal.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

brut4s and 1985 K5 Blazer like this.
  7. Jumppr

Jumppr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I am probably going to do exactly this. I took the carpet out of my Jeep with the intent on putting bed liner on it, but never did. I wonder though, since I plan on having my top off most of the time, would it be better to have a lighter color?

8. Sweetginger

Sweetginger Registered Member Premium Member

I threw in a carpeted rubber back rug over top of my bed liner and did the garage door seal idea for the rear seal.

image.jpeg

9. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    The only thing I could see happening would be any spots where the carpet moves could get rubbed. Make sure it's tight and put some kind of underlayment under it.

10. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    im in the same boat, ive got a little bit of rust repair to do on the front end where there was moisture under the bedliner but i want to put carpet over it eventually. Screw holes are all covered though which sucks. oh well itl be CUSTOM!

11. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status

Build(s):
    No reason not too if you want to deaden some sound inside the truck but I am kind of planning on going a little further. Was thinking of using either lizard skin heat and sound liner or Al's HNR. Lizard skin is two products, one goes over the other... Al's is one, and about half the price of one bucket of the Lizard skin product, so right now it's winning in the budget department, lol. I'm planning on putting some sound deadening sheets inside the tailgate and doors as well, then doing the inside of the truck from tailgate to firewall, and then doing the sidewalls, roof of the cab, and roof of the shell as well, After that put down carpet, a good headliner, and make my own side panels because the OE ones are grungy and I'm just trying to get rid of anything that carries any funky smells with it. This is my second go around with a K5 and when I did my original one I was broke as heck and there was nowhere near the parts support there is now but there is no way I would pay 450 bucks for OEM repop side panels when you can probably make them for around 75 - 100 bucks worth of materials and some time. I needed an excuse to get a staple gun for some motorcycle seats anyways, lol.

12. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    the side panels in mine are ok, nothing special just black naugahyde over the factory stuff but im leaving them for now and just doing dynamat behind them

rpcraft likes this.
  13. 1985 K5 Blazer

1985 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Nice nsx

1975Jimmy likes this.
  14. TheSpy

TheSpy Newbie Premium Member

Nsx and a k5 sweet combo. I have an S2000 and a k5, thought that I was the only one with such an odd couple of toys.

1975Jimmy likes this.
  15. 1975Jimmy

1975Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

S2K is a damn fun car too! Definitely hold on to that thing, prices are steadily climbing for those.