CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

cracked tailgate repair and top-plate shield

forest

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a few discussions on the topic: most end with drilling the crack, stitch weld, and weld a strip of sheetmetal across the inside of the tailgate
* This one from 8 years ago has solid advice to just get a different tailgate https://ck5.com/forums/threads/k5-tailgate-crack.297429/
* repair advice is sheetmetal backing plate, stitch weld, and drill the head of the crack https://ck5.com/forums/threads/best...racks-common-to-k5-blazers-gmc-jimmys.339180/
* this ones worthwhile just for the big thumb typos https://ck5.com/forums/threads/86-k5-blazer-tailgate-windowframe-crake-repair-advice-needed.323378/
* drill and weld https://ck5.com/forums/threads/fix-for-tailgate-cracks.32028/

A welder was out this morning and took a look at the tailgate. He will be back Monday with a strip of prepped sheetmetal and will get to work.

Tailgate top guard: The reason for this post is in the above posts, nobody raised an idea of integrating a tailgate guard into crack repair. I looked online and I see tailgate top guards for pickups. The welder said he could fab one for me out of flatstock and with waterproof gunk squished under it, weld it across the top of the tailgate: I'd then paint it. He could build it so anything hanging out the tailgate isn't resting on the weatherstripping.

Is something like this already available for K5s?

20210617_104026.jpg

SPLATT

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think when the time comes to do mine I'm going to either weld the crack close or cut it out and weld a new piece in and then weld a strip of metal across the entire top of the tailgate adding a second layer for strength and just blend it in so you can't tell it's been done.

forest

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
a welder was out yesterday and spot welded a strip of sheetmetal across the inside of the tailgate: I will post some photos--he set up right there in my apt parking garage and got to work

TF Welding
Travis
408-916-7457
travisfuriawelding@gmail.com
He is out of Boulder Creek (Santa Cruz Mountains--that is over in the mountains by the ocean if you are not from California Bay Area)

he charged me $200 for the first hour and then $125 after that

he will be back out to clean up my cut fender wells

forest

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
For $100 I got a box delivered of all the bondo, sandpaper, paint, primer, etc to cleanup the tailgate after the welding: I just punched in my paint code, and boom, Sunset Gold (PPG 2567) 527 (1974)... a dialog box asked if I wanted all the other stuff to go with the paint and I said sure do!

PaintScratch (Division of Bio Pac, Inc.)
770 Mays Blvd STE 1 #5288
Incline Village, NV 89450

jimmyleetn

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep me updated. I'm getting a pretty nice gate in September and I'd like to beef it up in it's weak points. Post some pics when you can of the fixes on the inside and out.

flatland

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interested in updates also. Good luck with it!

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
a welder was out yesterday and spot welded a strip of sheetmetal across the inside of the tailgate: I will post some photos--he set up right there in my apt parking garage and got to work

TF Welding
Travis
408-916-7457
travisfuriawelding@gmail.com
He is out of Boulder Creek (Santa Cruz Mountains--that is over in the mountains by the ocean if you are not from California Bay Area)

he charged me $200 for the first hour and then $125 after that

he will be back out to clean up my cut fender wells
How many hours did he need?

Top Bottom