Dual Quad EFI

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by acm, Jul 22, 2020.

1. beags86

beags86 Eastbound and Down Premium Member

Build(s):
    No manual?

2. acm

acm 1/2 ton status Premium Member

50/50 on that.
    Depends mostly on me, Had a lot of "issue" walking over the last year or so.
    Stiff clutch might be a deal breaker.

On a brighter note. Been mocking things up and I'm out of places to easily put water temp sensors.
    Have to verify whether the Holley system can turn the fans on or not. It definitely should!

Also added a 1/2" spacer for both carbs and the linkage hits the intake still. Barely, but the throttle bodies have the same basic linkage. Sure don't want to have to bend those and I'm trying to keep this under the hood, so taller spacers are out.

It's always something.

beags86 likes this.
  3. beags86

Build(s):
    Guessing if my crappy version one of fast ez efi turns on fans the The holley kit will.

4. acm

There's provisions for 2 fans. So that problem is solved.
    Looks like I'll have to modify the heads for the sending unit which isn't a big deal.
    Want to add a few extra head bolts anyway.

On to the next issue.
    20200719_181146.jpg
    20200719_181214.jpg
    Think that'll keep the starter warm enough?

5. beags86

Build(s):
    Why isn't that solenoid on top where its supposed to be as god intended?

6. acm

BECAUSE GOD HATE AMC!!!

Clock it up and it hits the block.
    This fine accessory was supplied by RobbMC. :flipoff9:

The AR headers absolutely suck!!!
    Besides hitting the above starter, they do not clear the steering.
    The starter is BS because they claim it clears a factory starter???
    Would give them only 1 finger for the starter and let them slide on the steering (not so stock) but the price gets them both! :flipoff1:

& finally Edelbrock...where to start.
    The bolts they supplied to attach the cover to the base are all too long and bottom in the hole and still protrude the top by .1/4" or so.
    Ports don't line up to their gaskets.
    Valve covers don't fit with the crossram base on, will have to modify either covers or the crossram if I don't want to take the intake off every time a cover needs to be removed!!!
    Then there's the relief for the carb linkage that is in the wrong place.
    Glad the re=popped the thing but why bother if you can;t do it right?
    Add to this, I've had a PF4 and some valve covers on order since late Feb. and still haven't heard shit...
    Edelbrock gets all the finger emojis. :flipoff1::flipoff10::flipoff11::flipoff13::flipoff2::flipoff3::flipoff4::flipoff5::flipoff6::flipoff7::flipoff8::flipoff9:

Somedays I just "love" working on this oddball shit...

beags86 likes this.
  7. beags86

Build(s):
    Sounds like when I used to work on olds stuff.
    Granted I probably turned down a dark road when I sold all my rocket engines for a 6.0 LS....

Maybe you should stick to the gmt400s?

Maybe turbo/ superchargered ls in the 2 door Tahoe?

8. acm

Still have a ton of Olds parts. Several 403's, a couple 425's, a handful of 455's, a 350 diesels block w/425 crank, A & C heads, even have main girdle, shaft rockers and an assortment of Mondello parts. When you want to cross back, let me know.

Have a L29/4L80e for it but not real interested in it anymore. It'll probably get "gone" soon.
    Drove the CC today. MEH. Maybe links and a 06+ Ford D60 would be fun, maybe.
    Sold off most of the rest of the gmt400 stuff.

Plan is to keep this Rebel around. You don't see many around and I like it. Smart move would be to toss the 401 that I mocked everything up on it with a plain jane T10. Motor isn't too bad, its got Wiseco piston, Molinar rods, custom Bullet cam and decent heads. Everything is balanced. Should push the car down the road better than the 290 that's in it. Maybe a big motor and crossram on round II.

Just frustrated right now that all these companies can make such junk!!!

beags86 likes this.
  9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok now I have to butt in lol. Have an '85 Cutlass in the garage with a 403 in it, intake off, awaiting me to cobble together the 70's Cadillac (350 Olds) factory multiport EFI intake with a TBI throttle body, and all the related components, and make it fit under the hood.

Trying to keep it stock looking, with as many stock parts as I can. Which is far more costly than going with Chevy everything lol. Sounds familiar to the origins of this thread. Lol

acm and beags86 like this.
  10. beags86

Build(s):
    Thats actually a project I was looking to do at one time. But finding one of those caddy port fuel injection manifolds seemed like finding a needle in a haystack so I quickly passed on that idea.

Good luck. I would love to see it. Start a build thread!

11. acm

We should start a thread on how many sbc's could I have bought for the price of the stupid shit I tried. :waytogo:

Had an old TA with a 403 that we tried something similar with in the late 90's... didn't work so hot with my set up but technology has come a long way since then.

Good luck with your project and start a build thread.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That car was purchased in 2000 and hasnt moved under it's own power in ~15 years, sadly. Guess I don't have nearly the projects others do, but working two jobs, young kid, and the K5 being a perpetual product and vehicle I need to be running, I haven't been able to dedicate time to it, short of buying parts while they were still available.

Best I could come up with is that I'll have to bore out the original throttle body location to match the 454 throttle body, have a (thin) adapter made to fit it to the intake, and find injectors that fit the original rail.

Things I want to do with it...S10 front brakes, possibly rear disks, and build a stout 350 (Olds of course), may end up swapping the 200-4R for a 700, as the 700 is akin to going with a SBC...lot less money for good strength. Hopefully before I'm too old to actually get some use out of the thing. Of course, it needs some rust mitigation due to the t-tops, and will require paint, but I'd love to get this thing on the road again.

beags86 likes this.