CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Eaton Posi Differential Install Questions...

PWagon

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time researching lockers, limited slip, and the likes, and I've decided that the Eaton Posi best suites my needs (please don't chastise me for going with the Eaton Posi). I don't want to hear the click-click-click sound of a Detroit locker while turning corners, nor do I want the open diff (until slipping) of the Truetrac either. I don't want the complications of an air locker either. Simple and easy is best for me.

Anyhow, I don't feel comfortable installing it myself since proper tolerances can make or literally break the diff. So, I'm going to leave the install to the professionals. The local diff shop wants $325 for labor and $900 for parts (diff, bearings, oil, and incidentals). The $900 seems really steep especially since I see Summit Racing selling the Eaton Posi (part #19557-010) for $499 with free shipping. I'm guessing bearings wouldn't be much (maybe $50), and several bottles of diff lube would be another $40. So, unless I'm leaving something out here, I should be able to buy my parts myself for $600 total. Why's the repair shop wanting to charge me $900 (50% markup)? Am I forgetting any required parts or something?

Any suggestions from you guys on how else to approach this upgraded rearend?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
better recheck bearing prices :haha: the good stuff timkin / koyo are lot more than 50 bucks.

and yes most places are atleast 50-100% mark up for sure . and some are even more than 100% mark up .

what diff you doing ? some are easy and great for a first timmer to start out and learn on .

PWagon

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got the stock 8.5" GM Corporate 10 bolt (28 spline) with 3.42 gears.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ya shim axle setup . not the best for fearfull first timers .

I did a open diff to Detroit truetrac swap on a truck 12 bolt and had no problems with pattern and backlash after with the used gears .

but I have heard some not so lucky tho .

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So 325 labor and 900 for parts. That's not out line for an actual shop.

Oh also bearings can easily be 200 for high quality ones. Plus they are gonna mark up the posi huge.

325 for a posi install is too much in my mind

Top Bottom