CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Found the Holy Grail of caliper pin lubes...

aandpman

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe I have found the Holy Grail of brake pin lubes. Most of us at one time or another have had the issue where the brake caliper pins seize up in the rubber and the caliper gets stuck, causing noise, vibration, pulling, etc. Most of the lubes I have used will "cook off" after a few weeks/months of being subjected to brake heat. I found a post on a motorcycle forum last year discussing this issue. One of the guys had done a test with most of the brake pin lubes that are out there at the auto parts stores. They almost ALL contained some petroleum distillates. This fellow put globs of the various lubes onto foil and placed it in the oven. I can't recall the temp he used, but they all ended up cooking into a black goo. Another problem with petroleum distillates is that they attack and swell the rubber bushings. This also contributes to the caliper sticking.

The only one that didn't cook off and didn't have any petroleum distillates in it, was called Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease.

I bought some back before Thanksgiving and re-did my fronts using it. This week I pulled the pins to spot check (without taking the wheels/tires off) and I was able to pull the pins and pull the sleeves with only a little leverage from a small screwdriver. Those sleeves just slipped right out!. Plus, the lube wasn't cooked and the rubber wasn't swelled up. This is the first time in years I've gone this long with my front calipers working properly for this long.

I got this stuff at Amazon. It's a little pricey - about $14 for 2 oz, but it goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLGS92M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd be curious to know if anyone else here has tried this stuff, and what you've had good luck with. I know for myself, this stuff is the HOLY GRAIL !!

Big Ray

My Avatar Is Indicative Of My Daffitude
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the tip....

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I use powdered graphite. Either loose or in aerosol form. I've never had a problem with a clean round caliper pin (Ford Ranger diamond-shaped tap-in pins are much more finicky, but I've still gotten them to work).

USSkoval

Thornbirds look cool... Yeah, I said it
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Sil-Glyde stuff that NAPA sells has always worked for me. Or Syl-Glide... I can never remember how to spell it.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using silicone based greases lately in a few things and have come away impressed. They don't separate as badly and seem to hold up to heat much better... IMHO. Can't say long term how they will hold up. But so far so good. Have used both of the below. Super lube is silicone base w/ ptfe in it. The other is just silicone.

Super lube: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-4...TF8&qid=1486962246&sr=1-4&keywords=super+lube

3m silicone paste: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Cle...=1486962278&sr=1-1&keywords=3m+silicone+paste

Top Bottom