Getting rid of steering slop on an 87 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tocsin, Jan 27, 2007.

1. tocsin

tocsin Registered Member

With the help of my son cranking the steering wheel, it looks like the steering arm side of my drag link ball joint is shot and has a lot of slop in it. Pitman arm side isn't perfect but still looks pretty solid.

Questions are, would you guys go with the McQuay-Norris Schucks standard assemblies or does an outfit like Rancho or somebody sell a drag link setup that's a little beefier? Should I replace the steering arm and/or pitman arm while I'm at it or are the stocks adequate? (don't think either are tweaked, but I haven't pulled it apart yet to see if the drag link joint holes are worn) And finally, should I replace the adjusting sleeve too or is the stock stronger than the $11.99 Schucks part? No front lift on the rig yet - 2" blocks in the back.

I don't push it hard enough on the trails to warrant a crossover setup, I just take it in the middle of nowhere with the wife and kids and would hate to have a steering failure 100 miles from the nearest pavement.

Schucks part numbers are:
    Pitman arm side - ES2027L - $32.99
    Steering arm side - ES2026R - $29.99
    Drag Link Union - ES362S - $11.99

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yeah the auto parts tie rod ends work great for me and if it was me paying for it i wouldnt replace anything in there that aint broken

3. tocsin

tocsin Registered Member

Good deal. Thanks!