CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Heavy's HK5

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Heavyleft submitted a new Build:

Heavy's HK5

Ladies and gents, Ive been a 3+ year reader and have slowly started participating more and more lately so I decided to start a build thread, at least to catalog what I do to her.

I feel like Ive done the standard mods to it over the last 5 years and still trying to improve looks and function.

Let get into it.

Where I started: Purchased in 2009 (second K5 I have owned) from a co-worker. 1987 K5, TBI 350 (stock), 700r4 tranny, and 10 bolts front and rear. Previous owner put on a RC 6" lift w/ standard blocks in the rear, 3" body lift and some 38.5 TSL Super Swampers.

I decided I didn't care for the 38.5x15x15 look so I dropped down the 37x12.5x17s and some Blazin Offroad Bumpers. Plus a move from TN to NC.

Learning a lot as I went, I still wasn't happy...10 bolts, blocks in the rear, body lift, etc. Sourced a 14ff and some 56" springs and did the shackle flip and got rid of the block and the body lift and while I was there, decided to throw on some Duplicolor bedliner on the outside. And a soft top from the Mrs. for my B-day.

View attachment 230660

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Where she sits currently.

Today, Im back in TN. She sits as follows.

Front End
Military Dana 60 with 4.56 gears, Spartan locker, 35 spline chromoly outers, Yukon Lock outs, ORD/Alcan 6" lift spring, spring pin moved forward 1", ORD HD shackles, Bilstein 5100 14" travel shocks, HID headlights, 4x6 LED high beams, 12" Sidetracked Offroad LED light bar, Warn 9000 winch.

Rear End

Military 14 bolt FF, 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker, 56" 1-ton rear springs, ORD Shackle flip reversed, DIY4X shackles, disc brake conversion.
Tires
Currently, 37x12.5x17 BF Goodrich KM2s on black steelies.

Motor
Stock 5.7, RV Morse bored TBI w/ fuel pressure regulator, matched fuel injectors, salad bowl, K&N filter, 140A Chevy Caprice alternator, Ford WIndstar dual fan assembly, BMW dual temperature switch, A/C delete, Optima battery (dual battery set up in the works). 1.5" hydraulic Ram, Ported 2wd steering box w/ DIY4X steering cap, Redneck extra fluid reservoir, Off Road Design (ORD) Cross-over steering. ORD weld in and bolt in steering brace, 4 wheel disc brake proportioning valve.

Transmission & Transfer Case
Built 700r4, NP208, Tom Woods DC driveshaft.

Body
Blazin Offroad front bumper, bedlinered lower half, EZ door removal pin mod, Softopper soft top, custom rear swing out tail gate, custom rear bumper.

Extras
2004 Silverado front seats, Tuffy Security center console, DIY4X Aluminum Dash, Autometer gauges, Summit Racing/Maradyne Marine heater, PO Hurculined interior, custom Hi-Lift jack mount, Dynamic EFI ECU.

Probably a few items Im forgetting. But here she is now.

Last edited:

muddysub

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
i love watching rigs go from "just a lifted chevy" to a "well built trail rig!" nice work!

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Glad to see the build thread. I know your active in the FB group but it's nice to have stuff documented somewhere where you can go back to it easily.

That said, how about that FB announcement? :whistle:

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Nice, I like it.

Thanks!

Nice rig..

Good job on the rear bumper/swing out.

I wish I could take credit for that rear tire swing out in the picture above but that is the Blazin Offroad rear bumper I was mentioning. This is how her arse looks these days.

i love watching rigs go from "just a lifted chevy" to a "well built trail rig!" nice work!

Thanks...its been fun so far!

Glad to see the build thread. I know your active in the FB group but it's nice to have stuff documented somewhere where you can go back to it easily.

That said, how about that FB announcement? :whistle:

Soon...family and work take priority.

Thanks!

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Last weekend I received a Tuffy Security center console. The Silverado jumper seat lid had broken at some point and instead of paying $100 for a new lid, I opted to spend a bit more and get something I can lock up.

I decided to use the frame from the jumper seat to mount it. I think it worked out great.

Sorry about the blurry pic.

Rtull32

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
His new swing out tire carrier is even better than the old! :D Glad to see you working on it again I followed it for a while over on CK5B.

Heavyleft

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
His new swing out tire carrier is even better than the old! :D Glad to see you working on it again I followed it for a while over on CK5B.

Never stopped working on it. Just wasn't feeling CK5B anymore. I needed more inspiration and answers. There is more than I can absorb here!

I appreciate the compliment, thanks!

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It would be nice if we could get more of the people (who aren't idiots) from Facebook on here.

Martin

dirtroadoutlaw

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
So, Michael, you have the 40k BTU model of the Summit heaters, right? I would like to know how hard it blows on its high setting from your prospective. Just mapping out what do do when I get one because I plan on using only two of the three available speeds.... I think.

Top Bottom