Help! Blew My Rear And Need Info Asap!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XAlucardX, Dec 10, 2005.

1. XAlucardX

XAlucardX Registered Member

Ok i have a 91 blazer with i believe is the 10 bolt, it is limited slip.
    I blew it tonight playing around, im definite its the spider gears as i can spin one wheel by hand and the driveshaft moves, but the other wheel sits still. I flushed it out as soon as i got the truck and the fluid looked realy clean, i heard something when i got it about the rear recently beeing rebuilt... but it doesnt matter cus its broke now.

Anyway, i have to fix it tomorrow before my mom finds out (been working on cars for a total of 5 years so im capable) But im curious...

That military blazer i mentioned earlier tonight, what axle is it most likely to have in it?? And will it bolt right up. There are other blazers up there that i could use for the rear but if the military one has the same lug pattern and pinion so i can use my driveshaft as is i would like to grab that.

So should i take the military one?? Understand this all has to bolt up because im doing it in a wallmart parking lot (the swap) and pulling the rear out of the junkyard truck in the mud.
    Or should i just take the tag off mine and match it up. If the 10 bolt breaks as easily as it did tonight i dont want another... its junk!

But needless to say, i have to show up at my house tomorrow afternoon with a running truck... or a damn good explination of how i blew up my rear that doesnt involve tresspassing.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Military blazer will have a 10 bolt with a gov-loc in it which sounds like what you had. The military blazers are just like the civilian blazers with respect to drivetrain.

Ira

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Military blazer will have a 10 bolt with a gov-loc in it which sounds like what you had. The military blazers are just like the civilian blazers with respect to drivetrain.

Ira

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

gov bombs are junk, and 8.5" 10 bolts are notorious for splitting the carrier causing all kinds of problems.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

What exactly is wrong? a govlock will not spin both tires when jacked up like a regular posi or locked rear end. you have to spin 1 tire real fast suddenly to engage it.

6. XAlucardX

XAlucardX Registered Member

Thats exactly what it does, when i first got the truck i had it on my lift and found out that if its in park and i spin one wheel, the other spins the opposite direction so i was like "damn its a open rear" i pulled the cover and saw some wierd thing hanging off the side of the carrier and a H block between the spiders and i was like "damn, that doesnt look right" So i put it back on, filled the fluid, spun the tire as fast as i could and suddenly it stopped, put it in neutral and both tires spun like a locker... put it back in park and its open again.... So i guess thats the same as the truck at the junkyard??/ Either way, this particular place has set prices, all truck rears are 60 dollars. So i guess ill pull the cover and see if everything is in tact, and just transfer my brakes/drums over to the junkyard diff off of my current rear.