help me pick a lift and where to put it.

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So my concrete guy is needing measurements for the thicker area that my lift is going to go.

How far from the door should I put the lift? I want to be able to lift my crew cab diesel and still close the shop door and walk around the truck...

Also asymmetrical or symmetrical??

I've been looking at the atlas lifts, either 10-12k maybe 15k if I really need it... Definitely 2 post. And i'm open to other brands.

I want to lift my diesel, any car that i may need to, golf carts, tractors, etc.. I need a good general purpose lift that can handle diesel weight...

gone huntin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought the ATLAS PV-10P from Greg Smith Equipment and have been happy with it. It is symmetrical/asymetrical as it can be used both ways. I lift my Dodge dually with a 24v Cummins easily with it. I poured my footing 8" thick and 2' square where the posts bolted down.

Screenshot_20200110-133612_Chrome.jpg

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like that lift as well.

Do you happen to have any measurements from the door?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
28 ft deep bay and lift centered in middle . i have had crew cab long beds on my 2post lift and its tight or just about skimming the door if there is a big hitch in the rear .

also do a 14ft or taller shop celing or special rafters with a box out section to let you go taller . as 12ft celing gets super tight setting up a 10k 2 post lift . look at all the specs of the lift first .

and bay set off the walls is important also . like a member here just found out on his k30 in a garage and on 4 jack stands . he was to close to the wall to pull the long side axle shaft out . had to get help and some work to slide it over .

my lift is 3ft 9" from the work bench and the bench is 24" deep over that . so i have no problems pulling axles and opening doors . but if i only had just under 4ft that would be o.k. also .

hope this info helps . ask more if you need . i did 15+ years in shops . and have my own at home.

Last edited:

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
shop is 40x50. The lift is going in the second to last bay. And going to pull in from 50' side.

Thanks for the measurements. It's looking like I will put it about 15' from the door. That should still give me 10'+ or so in front of vehicle to be able to pull straight through from 40' side.

Attachments

• shop..pdf
    193.8 KB · Views: 9

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
@gone huntin are you still happy with your atlas? do you ever wish it was taller for higher vehicles? I was reading some reviews that wasn't too good on them. And a lot of reviews on their facebook page said their customer service is horrible....

I'm leaning mostly towards the atlas PV-10, but I'm wondering if i'll ever need anything taller? The atlas PV-12P is $3700ish and I know it would do everything i ever want to do, but it is slightly wider than I was wanting to put in that bay. I could make it work though.

I'm researching other brands. I've had an eagle lift at one shop I worked at and it was ok for light duty stuff, but had a hard time with a full size truck.. I think it was a 9k? I was looking also at the rotary brand, but they seem extra expensive. Has anyone used bendpack? They have a XPR-10s that is about $1000 more than the atlas 10k. Not sure if it is that much better or not.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
rotary / forward same company . high end / other end is all .

bendpack is good but like most there china now .

direct lift is another lower brand but ok ish .

hope these few help you . . keep a eye open on a used mowhak . there made 4hr's east of me in upstate ny with as much usa parts they can still get and they last FOREVER . also most have ZERO top bar so tall is not a problem .

gone huntin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I
@gone huntin are you still happy with your atlas? do you ever wish it was taller for higher vehicles? I was reading some reviews that wasn't too good on them. And a lot of reviews on their facebook page said their customer service is horrible....

I'm leaning mostly towards the atlas PV-10, but I'm wondering if i'll ever need anything taller? The atlas PV-12P is $3700ish and I know it would do everything i ever want to do, but it is slightly wider than I was wanting to put in that bay. I could make it work though.

I'm researching other brands. I've had an eagle lift at one shop I worked at and it was ok for light duty stuff, but had a hard time with a full size truck.. I think it was a 9k? I was looking also at the rotary brand, but they seem extra expensive. Has anyone used bendpack? They have a XPR-10s that is about $1000 more than the atlas 10k. Not sure if it is that much better or not.
I am happy with mine, I am 6'2" and have plenty of room with it at the top. I cam raise my crew cab all the way up and still have plenty of room before it hits the safety bar.

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have tried for a couple weeks now to get someone from greg smith equipment to answer the phone or emails to sell me an Atlas lift. They will not return my calls. I have tried 4 different phone numbers for my local dealer plus their main number to the head office. I cannot get in touch with anyone. So if I am having this much trouble getting them to sell me a lift then I could only imagine if I need to get warranty work done.

I have decided I definitely want symmetrical columns with symmetrical/asymmetrical arms in a 10k lift.

Has anyone heard of the following brands? Challenger (vle10), Coats (10k 2 in 1), iDeal Lift (TP10KAC-DX 10K), or Amgo hydraulics lift ( oh-10)

These are a few that I'm looking at in my budget. (less than 4k)

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only name I recognize is Coats. They make made tire equipment I have used, no complaints. What about Mohawk and Rotary ?

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So after lots more research I think I have decided on this lift.

from what I have read it is made by the same parent company as rotary/forward lift. Has great reviews and is based out of fort worth tx, which is about 2 and 1/2 hours from me. It is $2799 if I pick it up. Plus it comes in black which I like much better...

gone huntin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Challenger is what we have at work, they are 9000#, 20 years old and out of 14 lifts only one has had a motor failure. Amgo is the company that makes the power unit for my Atlas.

Top Bottom