CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

How far will GM TBI self adjust?

1-ton

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
TBI chips started to get a bad rep a few years back. Others come more highly recommended now.

Howell I believe is one that seems to be doing quality work for TBI guys now.
TBI Chips and Edelbrock where both selling TBI/ECM chips without any data logging info. Both of these companies would state in small print that you have to have a very specific cam and fuel combonation for their chips to work, but people would buy them anyway with a combonation of cam and fuel that where nowhere near what the chips engine combonation where designed for. Then these people would start crying that these chips where no good.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
TBI Chips and Edelbrock where both selling TBI/ECM chips without any data logging info. Both of these companies would state in small print that you have to have a very specific cam and fuel combonation for their chips to work, but people would buy them anyway with a combonation of cam and fuel that where nowhere near what the chips engine combonation where designed for. Then these people would start crying that these chips where no good.

We aren't going to see a ton of new reviews/feedback because TBI is less and less common. But this took me 10 seconds to find. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...179-tbichips-com-(Brian-Harris)-Useful-or-Not

When you've got others like Howell(?) Out there that I recall recent, good comments about, I think I'd head another way.

1-ton

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
We aren't going to see a ton of new reviews/feedback because TBI is less and less common. But this took me 10 seconds to find. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...179-tbichips-com-(Brian-Harris)-Useful-or-Not

When you've got others like Howell(?) Out there that I recall recent, good comments about, I think I'd head another way.
I am not trying to defend TBI Chips. My piont of view as somebody that has over 30-years experience working in the automotive field is that 99.999999999 % of consumers are dumb a$$es that are constantly complaining about vendors of automotive parts are the problem when in reallity it is the (few times a year shade tree mechanic) that is the dumb a$$ creating their own problem, and not the vendors of aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I don't disagree. You have to take a lot of reviews with a grain of salt. But when people have checked the coding and said it's been shoddily done, I'd err on the side of caution and go with others who seem to do a more thorough job.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to defend TBI Chips. My piont of view as somebody that has over 30-years experience working in the automotive field is that 99.999999999 % of consumers are dumb a$$es that are constantly complaining about vendors of automotive parts are the problem when in reallity it is the (few times a year shade tree mechanic) that is the dumb a$$ creating their own problem, and not the vendors of aftermarket parts.
ME^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom