CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

I-70 closure through Glenwood Canyon.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Those traveling through/from Denver and taking I-70 to Moab need to keep an eye out for the mess that is in the Glenwood Canyon part of the highway.

Mudslides have closed it from the fires last year. According to Colorado department of transportation they have reopened one lane in each direction today but expect delays obviously.

The main detour takes you north around on US40 but it adds hours to the run. As long as you aren't pulling a trailer an alternative route would be getting off at Copper mountain and head south to Leadville and then over Independence pass to Aspen and on up to Glenwood to I-70.

Hit the link to check any updates between now and then.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Puspoda open today if the info on the radio was right, but one lane each way. Long delays

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Puspoda open today if the info on the radio was right, but one lane each way. Long delays
Considering the mess that was up there, I don't expect the 2nd lane to be open before labor day. So the delay could be massive.

Google maps live view will dictate my choice. I'd rather drive an extra hour than sit parked for the line to move.

miniwally

St. Javier
Premium Member
Reaction score
I received a tractor trailer delivery this morning from Denver. Truck driver said no big deal at 8:00 this am. It’s allegedly one lane for a brief time and the rest of the canyon is two lanes.
The slightest chance of rain will close the hwy, Sunday night they closed it for 1/2 hr on the off chance a small rain shower got bigger.
Just pay attention, those not towing have alternate routes that I’ll let you know about if needed. Those towing will need to bail early to head towards steamboat and around if it’s raining or closed again.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have been through Glenwood Canyon dozens of times when they had it shut down to one lane each way, and never had much of a delay. They shut one lane for no apparent reason at times. The 50 mph speed limit, and lane restriction for CMVs has caused me more delays in the past. The alternate routes are more time than even a 10 minute delay in the Canyon.
As long as there isn't a semi-truck accident or more flash flooding, one lane each way is good. Car accidents normally don't cause major delays.

@ZooMad75 you can consider the alternate route from Blue Mesa Reservoir through Crawford and Hotchkiss. It will bring you into Delta and is scenic around the Black Canyon, then just old state highway after that. Better than going through Denver IMO, cuz I hate traffic and high concentration of ijots.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have been through Glenwood Canyon dozens of times when they had it shut down to one lane each way, and never had much of a delay. They shut one lane for no apparent reason at times. The 50 mph speed limit, and lane restriction for CMVs has caused me more delays in the past. The alternate routes are more time than even a 10 minute delay in the Canyon.
As long as there isn't a semi-truck accident or more flash flooding, one lane each way is good. Car accidents normally don't cause major delays.

@ZooMad75 you can consider the alternate route from Blue Mesa Reservoir through Crawford and Hotchkiss. It will bring you into Delta and is scenic around the Black Canyon, then just old state highway after that. Better than going through Denver IMO, cuz I hate traffic and high concentration of ijots.
Normally I'd be rolling Hwy 50 all the way, but we'll be leaving from Denver since we are going to visit my Mom. Because I've shortened my time in Moab to go visit I'm probably going to put the hammer down and cover ground quickly on the way out. Hopefully, the section in the canyon is flowing by the time we bug out.

miniwally

St. Javier
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it's closed and your not towing, plan on Cottonwood Pass between Gypsum and Carbondale. This may be where you need to know how to get there because they've been locking out a lot of the side routes to keep Grayhound busses off of them (unsuccessfully one could say) Bonus is this literally takes you right by the ORD shop. It's an easy passenger car drive and I know ranchers that haul trailers over it regularly but when the canyon closes they limit it to 35' vehicles and no trailers. This will only add about :30 to :45 min to your trip.

If towing down I-70 plan to get off at Silverthorne and head up and around to Kremling, Steamboat, Craig, Meeker and Rifle. This will add about 2 hours to the trip I think.

Don't panic yet, there are a lot of days between now and then, we do have some heavy rains forecasted for later today and through tomorrow but then it looks like it will be clear for a while again.

Top Bottom