Interior windshield repair ideas

KCk51974

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a cheap, simple idea to repair the interior corners of the upper windshield frame. See picture. They were rotted out, so I had to to cut them out and now have unsightly holes on both corners. I don’t anticipate ever having a roof on it. 1970 k5. I considered just installing the weatherstrip all the way around, but right now just want something simple until I can decide weather I want to do a full body repair and and paint job. Thanks all.

4B53B287-546A-4666-BEEC-395D863A3BC9.jpeg

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of that is cheap and simple, is also very redneck, and not permanent at all.
Carefully tape off and find a similar shade of blue rattle can paint to cove the bare metal, then use black duct tape to cover the hole. Trim the tape nicely to make it look intentional. Then put the weatherstrip back on. Is this hack? Yes. But if you are needing a little bit of time to make a decision, it is better than an open hole IMO.

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don’t want to weld on replacement section, why not just bolt the top of the weatherstrip on?

KCk51974

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don’t want to weld on replacement section, why not just bolt the top of the weatherstrip on?
I may decide to do the weld on replacement section, but that would then require painting, and I haven't decided what I want to do a bout a paint job.

I thought about just buying the weather stripping, but i am a cheap bast#$%. most places want $40 per side, and then I would also feel compelled to buy the door sill plates, which I also don't have. Plus, since the truck doesn't even have a roof, I don't really need the weather stripping. I agree though, that is probably the easiest solution (if I wasn't a cheap bast$$%!)

KCk51974

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of that is cheap and simple, is also very redneck, and not permanent at all.
Carefully tape off and find a similar shade of blue rattle can paint to cove the bare metal, then use black duct tape to cover the hole. Trim the tape nicely to make it look intentional. Then put the weatherstrip back on. Is this hack? Yes. But if you are needing a little bit of time to make a decision, it is better than an open hole IMO.
Good thought. I probably should just shell out the bucks for the weathestripping. I don't trust my painting skills at all!

Top Bottom