CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Jennifer's "Orange Crush"

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
az_762_nato submitted a new Build:

Jennifer's "Orange Crush"

This is gonna be a slow build, and very mild since its going to be for my wife, so don't expect daily updates or LS swaps in here.

So, for anyone that didn't see it in the complete vehicles for sale section, I picked up a bone stock 73 from a coworker of big pappa b. Wife has never had a truck before, let alone a K5 and she loved the truck when we went to go look at it. Here is the pic slideshow from big pappa b's sale thread: http://s7.photobucket.com/user/bigpappab/embed/slideshow/73 K5

Now, I do a lot more driving throughout the day than Jen does, but she drives more miles per day than I do so for now she is driving my car to start work, and I'm driving the K5. I'm blind as a bat at night thanks to an IED, so the mods start with addressing the lighting.....

View attachment 230861

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
In go the Truck-lite 07496's to replace the sealed beams. Seriously, these things are great. My Benz has the Euro version lamps with the projector and HID, and these are at least that good. Since LED doesn't produce much heat, these also have a self contained hearing element in the lens, helpful here in bipolarado's weather. They are multivolt lights, and can operate from 9-32 volts.

20150814_185147.jpg

20150814_185212.jpg

20150814_185234.jpg

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Next up was pulling the swingout tire carrier off and welding up the inevitable crack under the taillight that they cause, and removing an old rusty and leaking Kats engine heater. No pics of that though

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then, some steel followed me home....
This should take care of the rockers being rusted out. Unfortunately, that's all the progress I've made since I'm on assignment as a 1SG right now, and that seems to make for loooong work days

1440015404644-1031246353.jpg

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks for your service!
Glad to see another roundeye getting some love!

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and yep, its getting sliders since those rockers are shot. The floors, supports, and insides of the rockers are still solid, but I may as well. I have the 2x3 that I could use for them, but I may follow Shawn's advice (unless he says to jump something) and go 2x6 even though she'll never see rocks.

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
This build should progress a lot faster once I'm out. I'm working on getting medically retired right now and it seems like a fight to get a percentage that I'll be happy with. I can only do very few things with the truck myself due to physical limitations now, so luckily it doesn't need much and its staying very very mild. Jen's end goal for the truck is 33s, trimmed fenders, and at most a small lift. Just a family trail truck that she can use as a DD during the winter, so it will be staying fulltime 203 as well.

Last edited:

GWeakland620

THE CK5 Crayon Eater
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cool, can't wait to see what you do with the sliders.

Not to be rude by any means, but what else did the IED do to you?

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Woo hoo your gonna be my favorite build on here. I had a 73 did the sliders exactly like your talking about. It's hard to get that metal clean down there. Spend some extra time cleaning it up. 2x6 is a great size to do it with.

Might wanna look into custom springs. I am convinced the cost of them is totally worth it.

So the headlights. Really good. I'm just getting older and my night vision is getting worse. If your on the highway after dark here your gonna see deer.

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not rude at all, I can talk about some of the crap now. Most of the damage was on the left side of my body, but I don't have it near as bad as a lot. Tally for the IED was shattered my left wrist, cracked my C4-C6 vertebra, worst concussion I've ever had, bleeding from the ears, lots of mental issues that ended up leading to a divorce from my first wife, and lost my best friend in the blast. Year before that I got my first gsw, but not bad at all, barely more than a scrape. Sep 2013 I caught a bad bullet and had a double open fracture below the left knee. The step kids think all my titanium parts are cool, and call me Iron Man. I might have his cockiness, but I wish I had his money.

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I am glad you ended up with the rruck. My plans were a lowered 4wd rig to tow my boat. I am glad I passed on it. Looks like you will do it justice..

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad this went to a member that I can watch the build on. I was wanting this pretty bad myself. If it went under 1000 bucks it was going to hard to say no. If I were to own a blazer it would have to be full vert. Sounds like you have a plan together. Looks good. Don't let these guys pressure you, solid plan. :popcorn:

PS. When does it get the 5.3?

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, aftermarket a/c is being removed, however the compressor is going to stick around and be repurposed into my truck (its a york). Being as how were from AZ and "hot" here really isnt, neither of us see a point to keeping a/c in it. And no 5.3 swaps!

Although, since shes in love with driving it as much as she can, I can foresee maybe a 6.0 waaaaaay down the road!

Last edited:

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Subd and thank you for your service

Top Bottom