LMC Tailgate Review / Completed!

1985 K5 Blazer

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Nice! In a few weeks i should be done collecting all the parts for a new tailgate. But i have to get all new stuff. My tailgate falls apart every time ifs opened. Stupid salt lol.

4x4blaze

Still gonna send it.
Reaction score
Most body shops would repaint/tint the tailgate to match better. Did they match paint chips or use a reference like the old one? I worked at a body shop for a few years and that is what we would do.

Nonetheless it looks great. Thanks for the pics

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when I picked it up.. It looked close then, but I knew when I put it on it would be way off.. & I believe the manager knew it was way off and could tell I was a little disappointed, so he ended up almost splitting the cost. The quality of the paint is amazing, it's almost like a blue mirror, I just wish it was a bit closer..

And he actually got the paint code out of the glove box.. Absolutely no idea how it ended up so different. I wish I would have dropped off the access panel that bolts to inside of the gate for them to use as a reference.. but you live and you learn!:doah:

This truck is definitely due for a new paint job though so I'm not too worried.. When I first got it, it was about as glossy as a chalkboard. I spent a lot of time getting the paint to where it is now, but it still has ugly oxidation lines on the fenders and the paint has peeled off in two big spots on my hood... Plus the roof is starting to peel a bit...:) I try to wax it religiously, but hey, it's 30 year old paint! So she is definitely due! Hopefully with 5 years or so, but I want to get mechanical goodies done first before paint, but we'll see!

& thanks man, I dig the one in your avatar!

Shane

4x4blaze

Still gonna send it.
Reaction score
Nice! In a few weeks i should be done collecting all the parts for a new tailgate. But i have to get all new stuff. My tailgate falls apart every time ifs opened. Stupid salt lol.

Gotta love salt!:weapon10:

They use it all winter long here in Missouri as well, and man, it tears up these trucks.. I try to keep mine parked till the roads clear up...:whistle::D

& That's a good idea putting all new parts inside of it.. if you're going to have it apart, might as well! I ordered a lot from them, from the weatherstripping to the window tracks, and the quality seemed good! So I would recommend them!

But good luck with it man!:waytogo:

JoshHefnerX

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
That paint on the body has probably lost some of it's color over the years, faded. The paint code used may have gotten the tailgate closer to how it looked coming out of the factory.

4x4blaze

Still gonna send it.
Reaction score
The paint code used may have gotten the tailgate closer to how it looked coming out of the factory.

I get what you're saying about the paint fading, but this truck has the Custom Deluxe trim package. So there is no headliner, panels along the bedside, etc.. And the inside still matches the outside perfectly.. Even if that were the case, it would have to fade A LOT..

The color on my tailgate is what the entire truck will look like down the road... One panel at a time right?:haha:

Chief Brody

Chief of Amity Police
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I will say that even though most LMC (and others) parts have to be modified to fit I am glad that somebody does still make the parts...for how much longer? Who knows...

Glad I caught this thread, sorry I completely missed it when you started it...not much traffic in here these days compared to even a year ago

4x4blaze

Still gonna send it.
Reaction score
I will say that even though most LMC (and others) parts have to be modified to fit I am glad that somebody does still make the parts...for how much longer? Who knows...

I totally agree with you. I have heard horror stories about LMC sheet metal, but I feel like this tailgate was a good call. I really didn't have any other options to go with either. LMC was the only company I could find who sells one. And honestly, I feel like these trucks are just now getting out of the depreciation period in which they have been stuck in for the last 20 or so years. So maybe just maybe more companies will start producing parts for them. because lets be honest, Squarebodys are awesome! But time will tell!

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
without using a spectroscope or whatever to match the exterior thats what your going to get by going off paint code, and as you said, new paints are so much brighter and better quality than the original paint. On the plus side, your tailgate will look amazing years to come, and when you repaint the whole thing you know how good the whole truck will look.

Don Ho

Stock 85
Reaction score
Nice Job ! How did you get the tailgate from Rattling ? , My blazer tailgate makes a lot of noise !! Thanks Don

Big Ray

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
FYI, 33's should fit without any lift with no problems. I have 33's on my stock k10 'burb.

4x4blaze

Still gonna send it.
Reaction score
Nice Job ! How did you get the tailgate from Rattling ? , My blazer tailgate makes a lot of noise !! Thanks Don

I put new weatherstripping on the inside and it really holds it snug! Really gotta give it a decent shove to close it now.. After 30 years, the stripping really gets flattened out. it used to drive me insane with all the squeaks and rattles it made... :mad:

FYI, 33's should fit without any lift with no problems. I have 33's on my stock k10 'burb.

Good to know! I've really got the fever for wheels and tires... Think I'm going to stay old school with 15x10's.. But the truck is already a pig with 31's (that actually only measure to 29":screwy:) so I'm planning on ripping the tbi 305 and replace it with something that makes 400+ before then...:whistle: and then a 3" lift with 33's or so. The goal is a 4x4 K5, but with hot rod styling. I'm not building it to go fast, I've got a pretty radical Camaro for that, i just want it to be able to get out of its own way.... A fun cruiser that can beat up on the new trucks:D

Don Ho

Stock 85
Reaction score
I put new weatherstripping on the inside and it really holds it snug! Really gotta give it a decent shove to close it now.. After 30 years, the stripping really gets flattened out. it used to drive me insane with all the squeaks and rattles it made... :mad:

Good to know! I've really got the fever for wheels and tires... Think I'm going to stay old school with 15x10's.. But the truck is already a pig with 31's (that actually only measure to 29":screwy:) so I'm planning on ripping the tbi 305 and replace it with something that makes 400+ before then...:whistle: and then a 3" lift with 33's or so. The goal is a 4x4 K5, but with hot rod styling. I'm not building it to go fast, I've got a pretty radical Camaro for that, i just want it to be able to get out of its own way.... A fun cruiser that can beat up on the new trucks:D
Thanks , I'm worken on that talgate now -)

Bohemian

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
any chance you still have the LMC Part number for this tailgate? as of Feb 2021 it appears they do not offer it any more.

i can't find any aftermarket blazer/jimmy tailgates for roll up window tailgates

thanks in advance.

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
This makes me really curious on the quality of their fenders. I got a wheel arch panel from LMC and it was surprisingly very nice

Chief Brody

Chief of Amity Police
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
On my '74 the fenders did not fit. I ended up getting fenders out of the parts yard. I ended up selling them locally.

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bummer :(

I did email AMD a few weeks ago and a representative told me they should be producing their own fenders by next year

Top Bottom