looking to pick your brain of hard learned knowledge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greeleycoloscott, Oct 17, 2005.

1. greeleycoloscott

greeleycoloscott Registered Member

i just recently bought 1978 blazer and want to start fixing it up with making it a rockcrawler of sorts not quite the budget to go as all out as some but would rather save and put things off tell it can be done right . was thinkingtof lift first??? or ?? what do the voices of experience sayand hard knocks say on this subjec of where to start??

2. greeleycoloscott

dont hold back

lets hear the works here!!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Budget crawler... :thinking:

3/4 ton diff's, pretty cheap to get (under $400 usually) and have decent gears almost guaranteed. Most have 4.10's. Chuck a Detroit in the rear (~$400) and leave the front open.

4" lift, but not a kit. TC EZ rides up front, shackle flip in rear. The flip can be free if you're handy with a grinder. The EZ rides will ride and flex good, but not be so crazy as to make crossover steering a must. Relocate the rear shocks, run the cheap Gabriel 12.5" travel shocks.

A set of 15x10 rockcrawler rims, ~4" backspace, and some 35x12.5" MT's.

Keep the Q-jet whatever you do.

Bumpers of your choice, just keep approach and departure angles in mind when designing/building/or buying them.

Box tube "weld on" rock sliders.

Part time kit for the 203.

Do a little front fender trimming and have fun with it.

Total might be $2200-$2500 and it'd be a pretty capable trail rig.

Rene

4. greeleycoloscott

thanks

the front differential would be geared differently then?? i was thinking of finding a 3/4 ton parts truck what do u think of that idea i thought it could save some money on the beefup. was thinking of the 4 in with or was wondering if 6 in would be better with shackle flip and 21/2 rear springs. why do u want to relocate shocks??

5. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Both differentials would be geared the same. If you can find a 3/4 ton truck/burb try to find one with a 205 transfercase and TH400 trans and 4.10 gears.

4" is a good amount, most people just want to go really high but that just raises the center of gravity (more likely of a roll over), height issues on the trail (tree branches, etc), less flex and creates other problems with steering (crossover is almost a must), and driveshaft angles and length (6" will probably require mods, which increases your budget a decent amount.

stay away from blocks. the rear shackle flip can be made, or bought for very cheap. better flex/ride espcially if you retain the stock springs.

if you relocate the shock mounts, it gives you a bit more of ground clearance in the rear.

if you do find a 14B for the rear, that can also be shaved down about 1" to gain some clearance.

Also, just try searching the forums because your questions have been answered, several times a week.

Good luck.

6. greeleycoloscott

thank you for input

very insightful and has me thinking

7. greeleycoloscott

ok so far lots of collecting time now for action

ok i have aquired 2 parts vehecles one a c15 or heavy half pickup and a suburban with 1 ton axles yes the coveted dana 60 ok now what do i do? 400 invested so far parts rich sense poor as it were . what have i gotten myself in for .need to move parts and accessories onto the blazer now where and how and why i suppose should i start? i was thinking 6 inch lift 1 inch body 486 gears may already be in axle no bigger than 38 tires. help! i want to hopefully be as through as possoble in theory do it once and do it right!! i am thinking and nothing happened ! HELP!!! p.s. the dont do school of hard knocks yea high priority on that advice. paint will come from a spray7 can that should tell ya where my priorities arei hope.

8. greeleycoloscott

so how is this shock mount job thing gone about?