Motor swap questions/ brainstorming

Discussion in 'The Engine Bay' started by jd350az, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jd350az

jd350az Newbie Premium Member

Planning on doing an 8.1 swap the beginning of the year. My 1989 suburban blew a head gasket and in looking around to rebuild it or get a rebuilt motor I realized a swap isn't that much more and I have always thought the TBI 5.7 was sluggish for a 3/4 ton burb lifted on 35's. I've also needed to regear the diffs, I think they are 3.73 and I want to go to 4.10 or 4.56. The next problem is it took a lot of RPMs to go highway speeds with the 3.73s and if I go with lower gears I will want an OD even more so I was thinking 4l60 or 80.

How does the 8.1 compare to the 6.0? Weight, power, etc. Does the 6.0 bolt up into older Chevys? I haven't researched it much, everything i saw said might as well go 8.1 for the power and not much worse mpg than the 6l. It's mostly a cruiser, hunting, easy trails with family, camping, etc. It is my tow rig, but i don't tow regularly and nothing i have or have friends that have requires more than a half ton. But someday maybe? Lol. The way i drive and use it i would benefit from low end torque more than high end hp. What about costs of the 6.0 vs 8.1 swaps? I'd stick mostly stock reliability over power as well.

I was also looking into swapping out the th 400 to get an overdrive. I was looking into the 4l80 since it's usually the trans behind the 8.1(or is it the 85?). If I buy a built trans like monster is there any benefit of the 80/85 over the 60/65 or even 700r4? I assume it's simpler to get the ecm/harness set up for the 80 since it was stock, but I imagine the 700 could be setup relatively easy as well and how different is the 60 series? I'm a few months from getting started and buying anything but I'm just wondering what to look for. The 700 is a lot cheaper and a 4l80 almost twice as much and double the core charge as well. Still hoping I can find a whole donor vehicle but they are pricey as hell in AZ, all trucks command a premium here, would pay less to buy online and get it shipped out here lol.

Thanks for your time!

-JD

2. skunked

skunked in the garage Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  3. jd350az

jd350az Newbie Premium Member

Thanks, I have read them all. Larry's polar bear was the first thing I found on Google when I searched for suburban motor swaps. He started this whole thing in my head lol. I've read Kay's as well on Pirate. That's kinda what I figured with the trans.