NEED HELP FAST ,wierd noise coming from the truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96RAM85CHEVY, Jun 29, 2006.

1. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

its an8 5 chevy k20

factory th400,np208 and rear 14 boltff

theres a WIERD ass clicking noise from acceleration on up to about 30 35 mph,sometimes going around a corner can stop it,or start it clicking again.

i crawled under it and checked the u joints,they seem nice and tight.

one other thing,about am onth back,the truck was stuck in about 3-4 feet of water for about 4-5 hours before it could get recovered.

i flushed the front fluid,was milky as hell
    i flushed the rear fluid,it wasnt milky,buti changed it anyways,with 85 90 weight. thats what schmucks said it called for.

it only does it under power,it goes away if i let off the gas and coast. any thoughtS?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check your lock-out hubs and hub bearings and axle shaft joints.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just because a u-joint LOOKS good, it doesn't mean it IS good. I learned that lesson the hard way, brother......

4. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

well i know,but the severity of this just happened tonight,so i did the best i could without my tools and without any light,to the touch,it seems fine.

eh well,probably needed new joints anyways,think i might just change ALL of them,since about 80% of the joints sat in water for a good length of time.

whats a good joint for the front 10 bolt axle shaft joints,the front dshaft ujoint,and the rear joints?

how much of a beatch is the CV to rebuild?

anybody got tq specs and procedures for the front 10bolt wheel bearings,and the rear 14 bolt wheel bearings?

also,when i cleaned the diffs out,i BLASTED the hell out of them with brake cleaner and carb cleaner,could that have any effect? i know both diffs were completely refilled with gear lube,i just poored it in until it started to bleed out of the fill plug.

5. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

the first thing i would do is replace the u-joints.